Adaptor To Connect Phone Sim Card To Laptop or Kindle

Comments

• Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The data rates on a phone plan are always higher than a data-only SIM plan for mobile broadband/mifi.
    Often much higher.
    So unless your current phone plan already includes (truly) unlimited data then it may be worth getting a data-only SIM in a mobile router/mifi.
  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Newcad said:
    The data rates on a phone plan are always higher than a data-only SIM plan for mobile broadband/mifi.
    Often much higher.
    So unless your current phone plan already includes (truly) unlimited data then it may be worth getting a data-only SIM in a mobile router/mifi.
    Thats what I plan to do.
  • Miser1964
    Miser1964 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 January at 3:47PM
    Lebera are doing an introductory unlimited data SIM for £12.50/mo after which is jumps to £25/mo. Of course you may  be better starting with a 1 month SIM to figure out how much data you really consume, e.g. if you don't stream movies. A 10GB SIM is a lot cheaper, needless to say.
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post
    What kind of work are you doing on the laptop when away? How long are you typically away for? The Kindle I’m assuming is just reading (don’t have one so it sure). 

Unless you’re downloading large files all the time (films etc) a dedicated SIM is a waste of time and money. Just upgrade your mobile plan to one that includes hot spotting and has a large data allowance (I suspect you don’t need unlimited). As an example, my O2 mobile plan is £8 per month with 30gb of data. I rarely use above 10gb. With that I stream music, use maps, stream videos and occasionally hotspot my work laptop when out and about. 

People waaayyyy over estimate how much data they consume. 
  • MACKEM99
    What kind of work are you doing on the laptop when away? How long are you typically away for? The Kindle I’m assuming is just reading (don’t have one so it sure). 

Unless you’re downloading large files all the time (films etc) a dedicated SIM is a waste of time and money. Just upgrade your mobile plan to one that includes hot spotting and has a large data allowance (I suspect you don’t need unlimited). As an example, my O2 mobile plan is £8 per month with 30gb of data. I rarely use above 10gb. With that I stream music, use maps, stream videos and occasionally hotspot my work laptop when out and about. 

hi - which plan are you on?

• Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post
    MACKEM99 said:

hi - which plan are you on?

Linked below. It’s only 25gb just now. It’s usually increased on Black Friday. 

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 666 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    £20 a month gets you unlimited data on 4g , it's a little more on 5g. 

If you have a 5g phone it would be cheaper to increase your data allowance on it and enjoy fast speeds and use it as a hotspot (although if you're tied into a contract you're a little stuffed)

Which ever way you decide do you research on the company that supplies the data as some are known to heavily throttle you at peak times making it very painful to use the net (giffgaff throttle during the day and its the reason I sacked them off, vodafone seem to offer consistently high speeds)
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    assuming you have a  up-to-date-ish phone ,  make use of your mobile data  by using   your phone asa  hotspot  assuming  you have limitation on tehtering from your  service provider 
  • MACKEM99
    edited 29 February at 4:31PM
    Its been a while I know but I am now looking further into this.  It is for my holiday home where I will be starting to go soon.. I spend various times there.  Regularly 5 days and then sometimes for a week or two at a time.  I have been looking at this on Amazon:

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N 4G+Cat 4 LTE Router, 4G Network Micro SIM Slot Unlocked, With WAN Connection, No Configuration required, Parental Control, Easy Management, UK Plug (TL-MR6400) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I was going to get the ASDA Sim Card offer to start with to see how I get on (monthly roll over plan).  Then if I find it does not work I can return the item to Amazon and all I have paid for is a few pounds, so not a lot to lose.

Any thoughts?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure