Package holiday return flight cancellation

I am due to be going on a 2 week package holiday in September this year. Flying with BA. Booked through Loveholidays. First time doing any of this sort of booking so it's all a bit new to me!

Flights were £600 as part of the package. I have now been informed that the return flight is cancelled. There are no alternative flights available.

My initial plan was to simply extend my trip by flying to the capital, spending a few days there, and then returning home on my own steam. Therefore I asked to retain the holiday but receive the refund for the return flight cost. 

Loveholidays have told me they are not able to partial refund, they can only refund me in full for the trip or nothing. 

If I was to fully rebook the holiday now, it'd cost £1500 more. So financially I might as well eat the cost of the £300 cancelled flight, which BA or Loveholidays now presumably gets in its pocket, and still make my own way home at an extra expense.

Is this correct? It seems insane to me that I just lose £300 after being inconvenienced. I even asked if I could use the £300 to upgrade my outbound flight to a better class, but they said no. 

Never booking package again!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,904
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If the return flight was £600, it's unlikely that it would be £300 each way - UK taxes are usually more onerous than those in the other direction, so your notional loss would probably be less than £300.

Are there really no alternative flights available at all, even indirect or with another airline?  If that genuinely is the case then the package organiser is within its rights to simply offer you a full refund....

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/634/regulation/11/made
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,757
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/my-flights-been-cancelled-what-will-happen-rest-my

The airline should be providing an alternative. If you are prepared to say the destination we can see whether BA is still flying there on different days or whether they have pulled out of that routing.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,888
    Forumite
    Routing? Dates of travel?
  • milobrulee
    milobrulee Posts: 55
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 January at 5:07PM
    It’s Chania (Crete) to LHR on 2nd October. BA are not flying at all, EasyJet is though. But was told that I couldn’t move to that one either. If I wasn’t trapped in the package, or what I may end up doing if I can’t find a cheaper solution, is to fly home from Athens on the 4th instead. Making my own way from Chania to Athens via a cheap domestic flight, spend two nights and then fly BA home. 
  • milobrulee
    Forumite
    Sorry I was mistaken, EasyJet isn’t flying either. The only SkyScanner option is Aegean with a connection in Athens. Hence why I thought I might as well do that myself and use my Avios for my BA flight home from Athens (I have just enough).
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,025
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 January at 5:56PM
    If you'd booked directly with BA you'd be able to talk to them and they might offer to replace your CHQ-LHR with an ATH-LHR at your convenience so you could do what you planned with a domestic flight off your own back.

However BA might not deal with you directly because you booked via an agent, so LoveHolidays would have to do that.  I'm not sure they'd be prepared to do it anyway as they sold you a package to Crete, not sure if it would leave them open to issue with the PTRs if they moved your flight to ATH.

easyJet have 2 flights to Gatwick and one to Luton on 02/10 and Ryanair to Stansted.  You could insist on BA re-routing you on one of those services as per EC261.  Again might be a bit more clunky to do with LH as your package provider.

Probably worth a phonecall to BA in any event to see where you stand, might give you something to go back to LH with.
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    There are three direct easyJet flights listed from Chania to London (Gatwick and Luton) that day, which I'd have thought would be realistic like-for-like alternatives for Loveholidays to consider using, albeit they should offer you a price reduction to reflect easyJet prices being lower than BA?

Nothing stopping you from changing the itinerary more significantly, but the further you go from the original, the less likely it is that LH will see it as a viable change to the originally-booked package, so it ultimately comes down to what you can negotiate - my understanding is that they could actually have switched you onto one of those flights without your consent or you being offered a refund....
  • milobrulee
    Forumite
    Flying from Gatwick is no problem for us really. It’s the same distance. Maybe I’ll look into that and see if I can speak to LH about it. It’s very frustrating to basically be told the flight is cancelled through no fault of my own and so the whole holiday is cancelled rather than just changing the one broken thing :( not doing a package again, it’s just not worth the hassle. 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,025
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 January at 7:22PM
    Flying from Gatwick is no problem for us really. It’s the same distance. Maybe I’ll look into that and see if I can speak to LH about it. It’s very frustrating to basically be told the flight is cancelled through no fault of my own and so the whole holiday is cancelled rather than just changing the one broken thing :( not doing a package again, it’s just not worth the hassle. 
    Booking a package gives you a whole lot more protections under the Package Travel Regulations which many value, for example in this case you are entitled to your whole holiday refunded not just the flight aspect.  OK as it turns out that might not suit you as you are someone who's happy and able to adapt your plans independently.

There's another post today where someone booked a cruise and then booked flights themselves.  Cruise itinerary has changes rendering flights useless, flights are non-refundable.  Swings and roundabouts, you pay's your money you take's your choice!

If Gatwick would be a viable option ring LH and put it to them that you want to cancel the BA booking and be re-booked on easyJet for both legs.  It's a dynamic package I can't think why they wouldn't do this.
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    not doing a package again, it’s just not worth the hassle. 
    Not sure that your experiences with a cheap bucket shop should be seen as representative of packages in general, and those supplied by more reputable providers may sometimes be worth paying a premium for - perhaps worth highlighting that another poster today started a thread about being disadvantaged by making independent travel arrangements, i.e. you win some, you lose some....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6497279/independently-booked-flights-have-become-useless-because-of-cruise-port-change
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback