RAM confusion internet v mse list

01NSkinner
01NSkinner Posts: 42
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
I managed without a phone for a while and am trying to work out which one would be a cheap starter, primarily for steet maps, menus and car park machines.

I started here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/phone-finder/  And the top of the list is Nokia C2 2nd Edition. However the listing says its RAM is 1 gb. An internet search says 4gb is needed.

So is the mse list not giving me usable phones... is the internet wrong... or am I missing something?

Thanks for help...

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    4GB RAM is excessive for doing the simple things you mention.  However I would recommend a current model of handset, so that you get security updates.  Something like:

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I managed without a phone for a while and am trying to work out which one would be a cheap starter, primarily for steet maps, menus and car park machines.

I started here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/phone-finder/  And the top of the list is Nokia C2 2nd Edition. However the listing says its RAM is 1 gb. An internet search says 4gb is needed.

So is the mse list not giving me usable phones... is the internet wrong... or am I missing something?

Thanks for help...

The C2 actually has 2Gb but its a horrible slow phone (rebadged from a £40 Chinese phone) for example it takes about ten seconds for the phone keypad to come up  running Android Go. 

You'll need a minimum of 3Gb unless you genuinely only want to make calls and send texts. Most lower end phones come with 4Gb now. 
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,573
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There's cheap and cheap. First you need to decide what you actually want to use it for and then decided what your budget is and then you can decide what fits your criteria.

Be aware though that some of the really cheap stuff may not have the functionality that you want or is so slow that it drives you nuts trying to use it. Especially if you decide that perhaps you do want to take a photo or two and find that not only is it slow but the camera is pants or that you run out of storage. 

GPS is a must if you want to use Google Maps as a navigation tool and not all phones have a compass if that's what you want.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • 01NSkinner
    Forumite
    There's cheap and cheap. First you need to decide what you actually want to use it for and then decided what your budget is and then you can decide what fits your criteria.

Be aware though that some of the really cheap stuff may not have the functionality that you want or is so slow that it drives you nuts trying to use it. Especially if you decide that perhaps you do want to take a photo or two and find that not only is it slow but the camera is pants or that you run out of storage. 

GPS is a must if you want to use Google Maps as a navigation tool and not all phones have a compass if that's what you want.

using google maps, paying for car parks, ordering at cafes, that sort of thing. The odd photo. NO streaming, downloading, etc.

My budget is whatever I can get away with for minimal internet use.

I'll want GPS. Compass needs looking for spearately from GPS does it?
  • 01NSkinner
    Forumite
    So I'm looking for 3/4 gb min RAM and GPS. Oddly the mse page https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/phone-finder/ doesn't allow for those options to search for.
  • PHK
    Forumite
    The MSE tool is not very useful. 

I would suggest something like the Moto G32. Currently on offer at £90 for the 4Gb + 64Gb version. 
  • 01NSkinner
    Forumite
    Any views on this one from that list: Xiaomi Mi A2?
    4gb ram, GPS, compass.
    Is Android 10 acceptable?
  • PHK
    Forumite
    I would say that was too out of date. The G32 I mentioned earlier is on Android 13 and receiving bi monthly security updates. 
  • 01NSkinner
    Forumite
    edited 8 January at 3:55PM
    PHK said:
    I would say that was too out of date. The G32 I mentioned earlier is on Android 13 and receiving bi monthly security updates. 

Thanks.

Is Android 11 & 12 - assuming the numbering system is that straightforward - still receiving bi monthly security updates?

Wiki says 11 - 13 are "still maintained".

• PHK
    Forumite
    It's not that straightforward I'm afraid. It's up to the phone manufacturer for how long and how frequently they provide updates. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback