PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Clean Eating in 2024, trying old recipes and hunting down special offers.

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 January at 8:30AM
    To avoid falling foul of MSE rules, this thread is about our food journey and discoveries.

I was a vegetarian for more than ten years and regard a vegetarian diet as fairly healthy. I'm not getting into plant-based aka vegan diet discussions. Please take them elsewhere, thank you. In 2022, in Florida, a couple received life sentences for allowing their baby daughter to die of malnutrition, on a vegan diet. 

In USA lots of olive oils were tested and found to be cut with cheaper oils. Presumably, the manufacturers didn't expect to get caught, just like the manufacturers who were lacing ready meals with horsemeat.

New discovery this morning from Milk & More.. River Cottage organic kefir 250ml 2.75 on offer for 2.20 to 04/02. Really creamy and quite thick but with a nice tang.Best kefir I've tried. 

Braggs apple cider vinegar can be over £10 in Holland & Barrett. Spotted ASDA Extra Special Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with Apple and Raspberry Juice 500ml 2.50

I'm sure this would make a great salad dressing with olive oil. It tastes very sweet to me, so I looked at the carbs... 37g per 100ml as it's 40% apple juice and 6% raspberry juice. The apple cider vinegar without the fruit juices is a mere 0.6g of carbs per 100ml. Both vinegars are 2.50 for 500ml. Have ordered the non-fruit juice one from ASDA on tonight's order.

On third attempt managed to get Iceland Luxury 28 day matured Aberdeen Angus rump and sirloin steaks 4.30 each and will try those tonight with Keelings mushrooms £1 also from Iceland. 

Husband is excavating in the freezer and Sunday night we had yet more Gressingham duck legs. They were good, as usual. Husband vacuums them up when we see an offer e.g. Morrisons, Lidl.

Snapped up double cotton white fitted sheet on offer at ASDA for £5

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,543 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can make your own kefir.
    Easy peasy.  I have been doing it for over 3 years. Just get the 'grains'- think they are now £10 online (were £5!) Use your choice of full fat milk- ie you can use organic. large glass container, no metal utensils and off you go......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 15 January at 12:31PM
    I didn't actually say a vegan diet except for what I was eating if you look again.

I stated a plant based whole foods diet. Two different things you'll find if you look into it. Plant based means you base most of the meal you eat on plants and use animal products rarely if you do so. It isn't the removal of all animal products. It is a diet focued on plants; vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, beans etc.
    Funny how many would agree that is healthy to focus your diet on...
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can anyone give me some tips on making sauerkraut and kimchi?  Ive tried making sauerkraut a few times but not succeeded.  First attempt went mouldy, second was too salty, third went mouldy! But I know if I can get the hang of it I will save a lot of money. 

weaving through the chaos...
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    edited 15 January at 4:31PM
    You need to make sure the container you put them in is very clean, sterile is better as any bacteria on the container can contaminate the contents making it go bad.
    The cabbage for sauerkraut should be cut as evenly as possible. Consider using a shredder if you have one to help with this.
    Pack the ingredients in as much as possible and do your best to get all air out. Also if you make sure all is covered and preferably with a weight on them to make sure it is all submerged in the brine/mix this helps. 
    Make sure the place you pick to ferment is not too high a temperature as that can spoil the process. 
    Make sure you aren't over or under salting it as well because that can cause problems too; 2% of the weight of the cabbage is recommended though some people go as low as 1.5% and others go as high as 2.25% to my knowledge. Your fermenting spot can determine the best amount but as I said 2% is standard.

In all once you get the hang of it it is as you say very money saving. Also you get the true benefits of a prebiotic food as many in stores are lacking this due to pasteurization.

I'd get sauerkraut correct before you try and do kimchi as kimchi is a little harder.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 January at 4:36PM
    I highly highly recommend Maangchi's how to make kimchi , she has a website and it's also on youtube.
    There are alos a few different types of kimchi to make and I'm sure you can find more but I've made her kimchi quite a few imes now and all I would say is personally, i cut down on the garlic..and be prepared for your fridge to smell quite strong.
    Oh, and I've made it in big tupperware containers, my slow cooker pot and china/earthenware pots. It diesn't have to be tightly covered, just covered.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks D&G and taff

I will keep trying with the sauerkraut then. How long do you leave yours fermenting for? 

Sorry for hijacking the thread Mrs S - Ive been following it with interest.  Is there an existing Old Style thread on fermentation? I haven’t been able to find it if there is. I’ve watched endless you tube videos but I always find Old Stylers have a nice simple way of explaining things
    weaving through the chaos...
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can I ask but if its clean eating, why buy meat from Iceland wrapped in plastic.  Evian water is bottled in plastic. Tea bags? Wouldn't loose leaf be better?
    Capri sun seems long life and unhealthy full of sugar.

Am I missing the point?
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    edited 15 January at 9:19PM
    It honestly depends on the temperature of the spot chosen to how long it takes. In winter the spot is usually cooler so it can take a few weeks, in the summer or when very hot it can take a week sometimes, I keep an eye on it and put it in the fridge when I deem it ready.

It does also depend on how you like it.
    Some people like only 5 days at normal room temperature (it is technically ready at this point but flavour and prebiotics will be less) whereas others will leave it a full 6 weeks in the same conditions. Sometimes experimenting is the only way to find your preference on taste and so time and temperature needed.

Best to choose a spot that has a more consistent temperature as a dip or rise can impede the process or cause a batch to go bad.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 January at 10:03PM
    @Doom_and_Gloom yes, preferable to make own kefir, sauerkraut and kimchi but we don't have the time or kitchen space at the moment. Always a good idea to read ingredient labels as many of the products in stores are pasteurized which kills the bacteria. 

@JIL Maybe Capri-Sun has been reformulated since you last looked. It contains Stevia not sugar. I'm using up what we have but won't be buying more.

Clean Eating is about eating food which is as natural as possible. That's a whole different thing to packaging. We would usually buy meat direct from farms or from butchers owned by farms, but it would be good to have some clean steaks and burgers in the freezer which we can replenish locally. 

There are bound to be microplastics in the bottled water we drink, but many water companies are using chloramine not chlorine now and that's a forever chemical disinfectant which I've heard can't be removed by water filters. There are microplastics in Antarctica now. Our world is so polluted that nothing is safe. There are microplastics in the air and we all ingest about a credit cards worth of microplastics per week. 

I'm just trying to do the best I can to counteract this by eating food that doesn't cause inflammation, that isn't ultra-processed, etc.

River Cottage Organic Hedge Kombucha 275ml 2.20 Milk & More on offer for 1.76 to 04/02/24. 2.8g carbs per 100ml of which 2.5ml is raw cane sugar. Husband really likes this. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback