PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Clean Eating in 2024, trying old recipes and hunting down special offers.

Comments

• Longwalker
    Longwalker Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Emmia said:
    Its funny how different people define clean

Myself its buying food as close to its natural state as possible 

If I want a chip, which I do now and then, I get a spud, chip it and air fry it , certainly wouldn't be paying £3.25 a kilo for a spud 

As for type 2 diabetes not being reversible, Id question the credentials of the person who told you that. Its been well known for years that it can be done. Trouble is most people with it dont want to change their diet and are happy to inject themselves or medicate themselves as long as they can still eat a cream cake. As for the "NHS pushing carbs at you" they dont. They say you have to eat from the 4 food groups and when it comes to carbs, 2 slices of wholemeal , brown rice, wholemeal pasta - all with a lower GI then the white refined stuff

I'd define clean as food as food as close to the natural state as possible - in that I include tinned sweetcorn (no salt/sugar) and frozen peas....

Tomatoes are better for you when cooked.

I found this thread very interesting last year  p1
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have always gone for the 80/20 principle.

The 20 can be the waffles and oven chips.

I think theres a lot to be said about how we fuel and service our bodies. I also feel that drs will all have different opinions and how do you know who is right? 

Good luck with your challenge. 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Still worth a look at Dr Michael Mosley's book- Blood sugar diet- you can get it at less than £3 from Awesome Books.
     Diabetes 2 is reversible- see the book- case studies.

You can be thin & have diabetes- it just depends where fat is deposited in the body.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • catz4m8z
    catz4m8z Posts: 120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JIL said:
    I have always gone for the 80/20 principle.

This is my current philosophy too. I dont call it clean eating though (sounds abit too faddy and restrictive TBH). I just say my diet is mostly whole food, plant based.
    I just to try to make as much as possible out of unprocessed/minimally processed foods and concentrate on home cooking. 
    Im sure that is where we all went wrong.....when convenience foods started filling up the shelves and freezers in supermarkets. It isnt rocket science that whole foods are going to make you feel better then heavily processed ones.

But I wouldnt try to cut out all processed foods. That sounds like a job and a half and I dont think a small percentage of 'junk' is going to cause too many problems (unless you are someone like Bryan Johnson!!LOL).
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    I like the Zoe podcasts too @purpleivy.

I was addicted to Diet Pepsi and managed to give up by switching to the cannettes of Perrier. Same ring pull pshht and fizz. I have zero artificial sweeteners in my diet. Dr William Davis MD, author of Wheat Belly and Super Gut and Bobby Parrish of Flavcity are both fine with Stevia but I'm dubious. Husband still has four boxes of Capri-Sun left over from last summer but I won't be buying him more.

Somewhere, I heard that 75% of Americans are intolerant of lactose. Has to be said that American cows are given growth hormones though and fed on GMO grains and some never see grass, which is sad. 

Lactose free milk is lower in carbs than regular milk so Husband tried us on it for a few weeks. Didn't taste any different. He felt that his stomach was less grumbly on it, so carried on buying it, alongside organic whole milk. We now have Lactofree whole milk (fresh and UHT) and Lactofree organic semi-skimmed, whichever we can get. 

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    edited 7 January at 1:36PM
    @YoungBlueEyes I have had lots of bullying from NHS professionals. From the nurse who told me that I would be dead in six months if I didn't eat carbs, to the dietician who told me that I didn't look fat enough to have diabetes. She tried to make me promise to eat porridge or breakfast cereals for breakfast instead of eggs. A nurse practitioner actually assaulted me, because I wouldn't take a statin (I don't have heart disease and haven't had a cardiac event) and accused me of having a tantrum, when I became distressed by her nasty comments and cried. I don't take any nonsense from them now. I have complained to the Care Quality Commissionabout my doctor.

I am not a doctor. I am a college-trained former chef and during Lockdown I took lots of online certificate courses from proper universities via FutureLearn and Coursera, as well as online courses from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health and Food Standards Agency plus an NCFE course in Food & Nutrition.

I am not giving medical advice, I am responding to comments, sharing our experiences and the healthier food journey that we have embarked upon.

I have two bookcases full of books in nutrition and diets (although I never follow an actual diet) and about three bookcases full of cookbooks. 

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I like the Zoe podcasts too @purpleivy.

I was addicted to Diet Pepsi and managed to give up by switching to the cannettes of Perrier. Same ring pull pshht and fizz. I have zero artificial sweeteners in my diet. Dr William Davis MD, author of Wheat Belly and Super Gut and Bobby Parrish of Flavcity are both fine with Stevia but I'm dubious. Husband still has four boxes of Capri-Sun left over from last summer but I won't be buying him more.

Somewhere, I heard that 75% of Americans are intolerant of lactose. Has to be said that American cows are given growth hormones though and fed on GMO grains and some never see grass, which is sad. 

Lactose free milk is lower in carbs than regular milk so Husband tried us on it for a few weeks. Didn't taste any different. He felt that his stomach was less grumbly on it, so carried on buying it, alongside organic whole milk. We now have Lactofree whole milk (fresh and UHT) and Lactofree organic semi-skimmed, whichever we can get. 

I watch for special offers on lactofree. It can be as low as £1.35 on offer this week or £2.10 in Spar. The rest in between.  Aldi/have  good price but generally only UHT.  Nowhere seems to have UHT skimmed.  

I don't like Stevia really. Or at least, years ago I tried it and didn't. Northern Europeans have  allegedly more lactose tolerant people, with African Americans and Asian people being a lot fewer people tolerant.

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport