24 hour delay and possible reimbursement. Cancun to LHR via ATL all with Delta

Options
Hi

I am posting on behalf of my nephew and sister to get some advice on a recent journey and the best way to go about getting reimbursement for costs. My sister is currently working in Mexico and paid for flights for my nephew to go and visit. They were through tickets with Delta, changing in Atlanta, bought as one flight rather than separates. 

On the return, the Delta flight was delayed from Cancun, then there were huge queues at Atlanta (28th December so understandably busy at the airport) with US/Canadian citizens being given priority, so my nephew didn't get to the connecting flight security bag check-in until 5 minutes before the flight left (Delta ATL-LHR). 

The Delate staff member told him that the gate closes 15 minutes before departure and to go to the Delta check-in assist desk in International Departures for rebooking. The woman on that counter refused to look at the boarding pass, check in, luggage location, delta flight receipt, and told him he was on the wrong flight and was a day early (despite having completed the first part of the journey with no problems), therefore didn't need to be rebooked as he was already booked onto it. My nephew informed her that his luggage was showing as being on the correct flight (28/12) but she said that it wouldn't be as he wasn't on the flight, and sent him to the international baggage claim office where he was told his baggage would be rebooked onto the same flight he was rebooked onto (29/12). 

Via Delta's message chat, he was told that he would get food/drinks vouchers or access to the airport lounge as his flight was not for 24 hours. He ended up having to pay for a hotel and transport from the airport and back, plus food as every Delta staff member he spoke to at Atlanta said they couldn't help and it wasn't their department. they kept passing him to other people. 

He then, whilst still in ATL, got a call from LHR to ask if he had taken the wrong luggage as his luggage was waiting to be picked up. It had been sent on the original flight despite what at least two different Delta reps had told him. 

He has kept all receipts, screenshots of conversations, tickets for flights etc. If anyone has any advice on the best way to go about getting at least the food, hotel, and transport refunded, that would be fantastic. 

if you need any further information please let me know but there may be a delay in me responding as I would have to check the information with my nephew or sister. 

Thanks for any help that is offered. 
£2012 in 2012 - £1381

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Delta have a section on this page that refers to Reimbursements Cancellations and Refunds | Delta Air Lines

Note that although they link to a Refunds & Reimbursements form, then confusingly go on to say:

*Eligibility for refund and reimbursement requests through the Refund or Reimbursement Request form are limited to residents of the U.S. and Canada only, for flight disruptions caused by factors within Delta’s control. For residents of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, or for flights departing from an airport within the European Union, please submit requests through our Comment and Complaint form.

So it looks like it's the complaints form and not the reimbursement form!
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately, as a non-UK/EU airline, flying into the UK, you have no legal rights to compensation in this instance.

Your best bet in a gesture of good will from Delta
  • athenajm
    athenajm Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. We'd be happy with just the extra money spent refunded. My nephew has submitted the complaints form now I believe, so we'll see what happens next. 
    £2012 in 2012 - £1381
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure