We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Watty's Awakening

1…524525526527528530»

Comments

  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 8,654 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    VNM and I are very stiff today. He so much so he has not got up 😂 I have stiffly staggered down the stairs and am mustering the energy to go out to the horses.

    On the bright side, the field has a security camera that feeds to a screen in my office, and, for the first time in a long while I cannot see "the heap"

    Plus, my credit card monthly payment to clear the balance from the previous month goes out today and it is under £100. This is the first time since I started the diary. There are some spends on it after that is cleared because things got very tight towards the end of the month and I have been using it - but - I am confident that a ZERO will appear at some point next month.

    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

    In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,762 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It's been a couple of months now, and he was due to come back the following week to do stuff so I would have thought he'd at least have contacted me to cancel. I'm not chasing anyone (other than the electrician!) either for bills, or for quotes anymore. If they want paying they'll bill me, if they want the work they'll quote/turn up. And if they take three months to bill me I don't feel a need to pay immediately!

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Builders in particular are weird. We had extensive work done, as did a neighbour across the road with a different builder. In both cases as the jobs came to an end, they took on work elsewhere and then became difficult to deal with for the last odds and ends that needed finishing off. Our neighbours eventually told theirs not to bother coming back. It's utterly stupid, as it puts you off recommending them to others. Do they not realise this?

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,233 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,233 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Great news on CC.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 15,686 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Excellent progress both on the business, the woodpile and the credit card! I hope you have Epsom salts to bathe in while waiting for the super-toned effect of all that clearing to kick in.

    Your VNM is truly amazing. Do you have him insured! 😁

    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

    Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
    2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.