We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups, the downs and the insides out of growing your own in 2024!

Options

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    My grandad always used to put his on the beds for the beetroot/onions, carrots/leeks, and peas/beans, so I'm planning on doing the same (unless that's now a bad thing some 30 years later :) )
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 April at 5:36PM
    Options
    -taff said:
    If you up end the gro bag on it's side and give it a shake, you have a deeper root run for the tomato plant and a more stable bag area fo a stick or whatever you're growing them up, cut a slit into the bag about an inch or two above the floor and the same wide to provide drainage and still keep a reservoir of liquid.
    I grow mine in supermarket flower pots, the round ones, and fill to within a few inches of the top and stand them on gravel in trays. By the end of the growing season, the roots are in the gravel to get to the water, and as above, the pots are a mass of roots. At the end of the season, I cut the stem level with the compost, leave them alone all winter and empty them onto the veg bed come spring. the roots have rotted down and it's all nice and crumbly again for mulch. If you do that, just leave the gro bag on it's bottom or side out of the way, then cut i and spread in the spring.
    Silvertabby, it al depends really. I sowed my tomatoes in the propogator mid ish march, they went into pots thebeginning of April and have been in the greenhouse since then. I am in the South West though. Some are on the windowsill [ the ones I especially want to coddle] but the rest are in the unheated greenhouse coping as best they can. They're all still alive except the ones the snails are eating so it's feasible. I used to sow the beginnig of March in the greenhouse and leave them there, usually took two weeks to sprout, it's just much quicker in the propogator.
    I'm north of Watford Gap, so a bit nippier up here!  Minus 2 one night just last week.
    I buy tomato grow bags for my toms and chillies, but decant the contents into 10" pots.  Much easier to control watering and feeding.  

• alicef
    alicef Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Handed the plants over to the plant sale organisers, thank goodness.  Next year I'm going to lift and split perennials - far less trouble. 

Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Sidling in as I'm starting again with my allotment after being ill since the beginning of December. 

Glad you are feeling better and I think remember the early shots you posted - I think you should go back and look at them to see what an achievement that 8 and a half hours actually is! It's starting to look properly cared for (and I agree the forget me nots are lovely for at least this year. They always make me smile :) )
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Gardening websites have a lot to answer for!

Thompson and Morgan sent me discounts and offers. 
    I thought I was done with my seed buying for the year but no......
    apparently I needed........

Dwarf Lupins 
    Chives
    Parlour Palms
    More lettuce
    More spinach
    Courgettes 
    Pumpkins 
    and Sweet Peas. 

Then another site I use sent me a free postage discount so it was rude not to buy...
    white winter cabbage
    2 types of sweetcorn
    cucumber  seeds 
    and catnip. 

I don't even own a cat. But family members do and I have dogs and I read that you can diffuse some like a tea and it makes a calming drink for them for things like fireworks etc. 

@goldfinches well done on your allotment clearing. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I move up the allotment list quickly. 

I can fit right in there, fruit trees are my weak point at the moment, I bet once those Patio tree reduction offers appear temptation will be back

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,675 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway said:
    I can fit right in there, fruit trees are my weak point at the moment, I bet once those Patio tree reduction offers appear temptation will be back

Im glad its not just me then!

I have just been out to water the greenhouse mini's things are looking happy and starting to sprout - although I have noticed I have lost a name tag or two. 

I suspect one tray is cucumber judging by the two leaves popping through.

I think the other may be cosmos......it could also be parsnips......time will tell.

Have earthed up my potato bags some more though since they seem to have really taken off over the last few days. Im hoping to get the grass cut and put some cuttings in the bag too to help fill them too. 

But plenty of planting to do on the weekend in the nice weather.

Do need to get some more compost though soon.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sammy_kaye18 said: and catnip. 

I don't even own a cat. But family members do and I have dogs and I read that you can diffuse some like a tea and it makes a calming drink for them for things like fireworks etc.
    There is research that suggests the essential oil extracted from catnip (Nepeta Cataria) is as effective as DEET in warding of mosquitos -  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-52715-y
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gardening websites have a lot to answer for!

Thompson and Morgan sent me discounts and offers. 
    I thought I was done with my seed buying for the year but no......
    apparently I needed........

Dwarf Lupins 
    Chives
    Parlour Palms
    More lettuce
    More spinach
    Courgettes 
    Pumpkins 
    and Sweet Peas. 

Then another site I use sent me a free postage discount so it was rude not to buy...
    white winter cabbage
    2 types of sweetcorn
    cucumber  seeds 
    and catnip. 

@goldfinches well done on your allotment clearing. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I move up the allotment list quickly. 

I you plant catnip in your garden/pots then you will soon be the proud slave of more than one cat!  My own pampurred puss is an indoor girl, but a couple of the local moggies have found my potted catnip plants.  One, in particular, rolls home stoned - good job he only lives a couple of doors away. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback