ISA savings certificate lost in post

At the end of November, I transferred some ISA savings from one building society to another.  All went fine, with paperwork efficiently dealt with by both institutions.  However, the final paperwork from the new building society, including ISA certificate, failed to arrive.

I have phoned them three times through December regarding this, although I realise that through Christmas and the holidays, post has been seriously delayed. Each time I have been promised that the certificate would be resent, and thankfully this morning a (copy) certificate arrived.

What I am wondering is what could have happened to the previous two certificates, and if they got into the wrong hands, would it be a security issue?

Would be grateful for advice.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,914
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What is an ISA certificate? Was it sent to you or between the two building societies? All that is normally required for an ISA transfer is a cheque and ISA transfer history form, and these would be sent from the old provider to the new provider.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,582
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is just the certificate issued by the new provider, stating my details, amount invested, length of time of investment, and rate of interest.  The transfer was between my previous ISA provider to the new one, no cheque involved.

When I have phoned the new ISA provider, I have given my details, including name and address, and they have dealt with my enquiries, posting the same information to me each time.   Three times altogether.  As I have only received their letter once, which was dated just a couple of days previously,  I wondered whether anyone getting hold of the previous two certificates which have been lost, could cause a security issue,  

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,914
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2023 at 3:57PM
    If you are just referring to a communication between the new provider and you, confirming the details of the new account, and you have received one copy of this, you'll be able to check how much personal information it contained about you. Interference with the mail and mail theft are offences and it is unlikely your letters will have fallen into the hands of the small minority of individuals who would open them, let alone use the information for nefarious purposes. Most likely the earlier copies never left the new provider's premises, if they were printed at all.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,582
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @masonic Thanks for your help and reassurance.

It was a little concerning that private financial information could be drifting around somewhere.  We are told to be careful, and I thought that it would be best to check.

Much appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure