Car seller V5 issue

Comments

• easy said:
    Several people have suggested it may not be the wisest purchase,  and explained why they think that.  
    You then get all antsy and argue with their reasons in your post of 2:05 pm.  

I do appreciate 'most' people's opinions doesn't mean you can't disagree or challenge their reasonings, logic
    etc not sure why some people would get upset and offended by that but hey ho. Guess some people cannot
    accept they are wrong or possibly misunderstand and are talking out their harris lol
    easy said:
      If you want to buy it,  go ahead -  but the bit of paper you want him to sign will be worthless. 

Please enlighten me as to why me asking seller to sign a declaration of facts is wortlhless ?
    You understand what  worthless means right?

Are you saying it was better, makes more sense if I never asked seller for the declaration and it would not
    help my case at all later on in a potential fraudulant dispute ?
    I think its the manner in which people disagree and challenge as opposed to the actual action of it that annoys 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber said:
    What makes you think him saying it is okay is worth anything?

Nope never said that, strange!

Just thought that the signed declaration will give me some protection
    in case i have to take him to claims court or whatever
    sheramber said:
    What do you expect to happen if it turns out not to be okay?  Sue him? Does he own anything to make it worthwhile suing him?

He lives in a nice house not on an estate yea I'd sue for sure. Would like to think the law would protect me or
    anyone in situations like this if it is a scam but knowing this crap country it's not a given they'd probably palm it off 
    as a civil matter

House mortgaged?

In someone else's name, such as wife's name ?
    sheramber said:
    You have already made up your mind you are buying it so asking on here was a bit pointless.

Do you normally like to just make things up?

Going 'money in hand' would imply an intention to buy.

Comments  in bold
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Normally, these actions are done by a dealer who wants to pretend to be a private seller to avoid any liability when the car turns out to be a lemon. It's usually one they've taken in part ex and know they can't sell on their forecourt.  The standard advice is to run away because the car is almost certainly crap.

Since you know the guy and don't think that's the case, it's a bit different. Do you believe it's genuinely his to sell and that it's in good condition? If so then nothing we can say will put you off.
  • Just a quick update. Bought the car satisfied seller was not a dealer by any stretch of the imagination and 
    yes he did actually own the car..(saw and spoke to prev owner)

He happily signed my declaration note also witnessed signed, which will or would have been a pretty much
    crucial evidence later on if needed in a dispute despite what the fruitcake naysayers believe B)

• Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January at 11:31AM
    Just a quick update. Bought the car satisfied seller was not a dealer by any stretch of the imagination and 

He happily signed my declaration note also witnessed signed, which will or would have been a pretty much
    crucial evidence later on if needed in a dispute despite what the fruitcake naysayers believe B)

In the event of any dispute later, you don't have any rights. Private car sales are caveat emptor.

In the very first post, the OP even chooses an appropriate username matching their thought process, then lists items from the classic "things to avoid when buying a second hand car" then goes on to insult other long standing MSE members with phrases like "fruitcake naysayers" and "crap responses".

I am so looking forward to hearing how this one pans out and how useful the signed declarations are going to be further down the line. It's weird how people come on looking for help then stick their fingers in their ears and abuse anyone who doesn't agree with the decision they'd made all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnisq-5ECzA

Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • NCC1701-A
    NCC1701-A Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just a quick update. Bought the car satisfied seller was not a dealer by any stretch of the imagination and 

Did you compare his signature to his passport, driving licence or bank cards?
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite

So if they were the owner, he must have had the V5 from the previous owner. Which you could have used, as they had not registered the car.
    Although someone doing this if either shifting a car with faults, or is trading cars. As it is not something joe public would do buy a car, then sell it on. Given your comment of  "in vue of selling on so he didnt re register it" 

Sadly no matter how you sugar coat it, they are dealing in buying & selling cars..🤷‍♀️
    Life in the slow lane
  • Car_54 said:

So if they were the owner, he must have had the V5 from the previous owner. Which you could have used, as they had not registered the car.

Yes seller transfered ownership over to me using the dvla online service during sale

That would be the V5 that says in big red letters that it is NOT proof of ownership?

I know full well what a V5 is and what it implies thanks, would you prefer if I had said seller transfererred keepership over to me? Pedant Much. Maybe you think seller wasn't the owner, I couldn't care less. All Iknow
    Is the car is sitting nicely on my drive taxed and insured and is a jolly fine motor :)

What is your issue here? I own the car, have the V5 in my name, should be here on my doormat any day now

• ontheroad1970
    ontheroad1970 Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    Car_54 said:

Yes seller transfered ownership over to me using the dvla online service during sale

That would be the V5 that says in big red letters that it is NOT proof of ownership?

I know full well what a V5 is and what it implies thanks, would you prefer if I had said seller transfererred keepership over to me? Pedant Much. Maybe you think seller wasn't the owner, I couldn't care less. All Iknow
    Is the car is sitting nicely on my drive taxed and insured and is a jolly fine motor :)

What is your issue here? I own the car, have the V5 in my name, should be here on my doormat any day now

If you come on here and spread your posts liberally with insults then you can end up reaping what you sow.  The routing of buying and selling cars you've described isn't common.  Not at all common.  Just because two people on an internet bulletin board have done it doesn't make it common.  It is something that I would only do with great caution and I would have to know the person well enough to trust them to look after several thousand pounds without touching it and ensuring it is safe.  That trust would have to b e implicit.  

This situation has all sorts of red flags and this is not a safe route for sales in 99% of cases.  Your signed declaration is pretty much useless - about as useful as a chocolate frying pan for making fried eggs.  Maybe you do know this person.  How well? Enough to leave them with thousands in cash?  

Remember the people you called names were trying to assist both you and other people that may come across this thread in the future.  A private seller doing a part ex is unusual.  It is not at all common and must be done with great caution.  Without the V5, I would walk away.  No, I would run away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure