Car seller V5 issue

24

Comments

  • GrumpyDil said:

    To be clear - he is a dealer but trying to duck any of the legal niceties that go in hand with being a dealer
    If he is a dealer he's hiding it pretty well judging by his fb gt profile selling history, literally no evidence he's a dealer.

    I've already pointed out I know where he works (and his misses tw) hence his profession, can you not read?

    boobyd said:
    How can he have taken it as "part exchange" if he's not a dealer?

    Because you don't have to be a dealer to do that obviously. He obv has some knowledge of cars and probably saw an opportuniity to possibly make some quick cash idk he might have took advantage of prev owner who wanted his
    car. Idk could be many reasons for a PE, who really cares as long as this car is his which I'm 99% sure it is.

    I've looked onlline reg cars prev mot's histor, passed with no advisories this time.  I also said I will take him up on his offer to speak to local prev owner. Am going to check vin number matches later today.

  • sheramber said:
    What makes you think him saying it is okay is worth anything?



    Nope never said that, strange!
    sheramber said:
    What do you expect to happen if it turns out not to be okay?  Sue him? Does he own anything to make it worthwhile suing him?




    He lives in a nice house not on an estate yea I'd sue for sure. Would like to think the law would protect me or
    anyone in situations like this if it is a scam but knowing this crap country it's not a given they'd probably palm it off 
    as a civil matter
    sheramber said:
    You have already made up your mind you are buying it so asking on here was a bit pointless.


    Do you normally like to just make things up?

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,588 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    boobyd said:
    How can he have taken it as "part exchange" if he's not a dealer?

    Quite easily. I know a lot of people selling cars are offered the buyer's existing car as P/X and some have even taken up the offer. Not something I'd be interested in as normally if I'm selling a car I want to reduce numbers and not have an additional liability but people do it. Also surprising how many vehicles are advertised with no V5 or not in the seller's name. A good proportion are probably dealers but I suspect private sellers are in there too for various reasons.

    Still don't think it's a great idea to buy. You can get V5 turned around in under a week in my experience if you register sale online so if you're desperate for the car then get the seller to do that and you'll buy it once in their name.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    jimjames said:
    I know a lot of people selling cars are offered the buyer's existing car as P/X and some have even taken up the offer. 
    IMO, that makes the individual selling the car a Dealer.  Assuming that the individual doesn't take and keep the P/X but sells it on in short timeframe. 
    Maybe an "Accidental Dealer" (a bit like we seem to see "Accidental Landlords") but a Dealer in any case.
  • easy said:
    Several people have suggested it may not be the wisest purchase,  and explained why they think that.  
    You then get all antsy and argue with their reasons in your post of 2:05 pm.  



    I do appreciate 'most' people's opinions doesn't mean you can't disagree or challenge their reasonings, logic
    etc not sure why some people would get upset and offended by that but hey ho. Guess some people cannot
    accept they are wrong or possibly misunderstand and are talking out their harris lol
    easy said:
      If you want to buy it,  go ahead -  but the bit of paper you want him to sign will be worthless. 




    Please enlighten me as to why me asking seller to sign a declaration of facts is wortlhless ?
    You understand what  worthless means right?

    Are you saying it was better, makes more sense if I never asked seller for the declaration and it would not
    help my case at all later on in a potential fraudulant dispute ?
  • jimjames said:
    I know a lot of people selling cars are offered the buyer's existing car as P/X and some have even taken up the offer. 
    IMO, that makes the individual selling the car a Dealer.  Assuming that the individual doesn't take and keep the P/X but sells it on in short timeframe. 
    Maybe an "Accidental Dealer" (a bit like we seem to see "Accidental Landlords") but a Dealer in any case.
    I fixed someon's leaking tap today guess that makes me a plumber right?
    Darn it, I could have billed them :)

  • jimjames said:
    I know a lot of people selling cars are offered the buyer's existing car as P/X and some have even taken up the offer. 
    IMO, that makes the individual selling the car a Dealer.  Assuming that the individual doesn't take and keep the P/X but sells it on in short timeframe. 
    Maybe an "Accidental Dealer" (a bit like we seem to see "Accidental Landlords") but a Dealer in any case.
    Nonsense.  I sold a car years ago (40😀) to give me the deposit for a flat. I took an old mini and cash for my 2.0 GL Cortina. I sold the Mini within the same week. I’m certainly not nor ever have been a dealer.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2023 at 10:58PM
    I fixed someon's leaking tap today guess that makes me a plumber right?
    Darn it, I could have billed them :)

    No.  If you fixed the tap and charged for it, you might then be trading as a Plumber, or a Handy-Person.  But you did not do the task by way of trade.

    Nonsense.  I sold a car years ago (40😀) to give me the deposit for a flat. I took an old mini and cash for my 2.0 GL Cortina. I sold the Mini within the same week. I’m certainly not nor ever have been a dealer.
    You were "trading" that mini, whether you like it or not and whether you identified it or not, you were trading.
    It's small steps from "I took one car" to "it was only a few cars over the course of the year - just parked in the road for a short while" to being Arthur Daley...

    easy said:
      If you want to buy it,  go ahead -  but the bit of paper you want him to sign will be worthless. 

    Please enlighten me as to why me asking seller to sign a declaration of facts is wortlhless ?
    You understand what  worthless means right?

    Are you saying it was better, makes more sense if I never asked seller for the declaration and it would not
    help my case at all later on in a potential fraudulant dispute ?
    Any "declaration of facts" from the seller is worthless and will not help your case at all if there is a potential dispute.  The seller can give you a bit of paper stating that he is the Pope, or anything else you want written on the bit of paper.  It won't change reality.

    Given you need these measures to prove that this car is a good buy, that is the evidence of your own concern that there is something "not right" about the car.  If everything was "obviously right" about this car, there'd be no need for this thread.
  • easy said:
    Several people have suggested it may not be the wisest purchase,  and explained why they think that.  
    You then get all antsy and argue with their reasons in your post of 2:05 pm.  



    I do appreciate 'most' people's opinions doesn't mean you can't disagree or challenge their reasonings, logic
    etc not sure why some people would get upset and offended by that but hey ho. Guess some people cannot
    accept they are wrong or possibly misunderstand and are talking out their harris lol
    easy said:
      If you want to buy it,  go ahead -  but the bit of paper you want him to sign will be worthless. 




    Please enlighten me as to why me asking seller to sign a declaration of facts is wortlhless ?
    You understand what  worthless means right?

    Are you saying it was better, makes more sense if I never asked seller for the declaration and it would not
    help my case at all later on in a potential fraudulant dispute ?
    If he is NOT a dealer you getting to sign anything is pretty meaningless.  To enforce it you'd have to prove he was a dealer to be protected by Consumer legislation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards