We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Bold leap into retirement
Comments
-
I was dithering a while back about going part time or making the leap, I have now told work that I am done and leaving at Christmas. Very happy with the decision, looking forward to a pretty special Christmas now with no January blues! Finances should be fine, still looking at a fixed term annuity (10 yrs) to bridge to SP. Annuity rates are getting better too. We have always lived to a budget and excess pay has gone into pension contributions, so retirement budget will be more generous than we are currently living on. Bit nervous, or maybe excited, hard to tell at the moment!
9 -
Last day of my 5 weeks leave today, retirement therefore officially begins tomorrow.
The 5 weeks has flown by. First couple of weeks were doing 'stuff', house tidy up, small jobs, personal admin. We then went on a two week holiday which was planned before we decided to retire. Knowing we didn't have to be be home we extended the trip by two days. Returned home on Monday, but driving home in the knowledge we wouldn't be back to the old daily grind made such a huge difference to how we felt.
Did some DIY yesterday, yet more personal admin - for anyone retiring it takes a while to get finance ducks in a row!
In the office later this week to drop off laptop and phone and say farewell to colleagues.
10 -
brilliant news @HUSKYPAL I’m so pleased for you
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pension, Debt Free Wanabee, and Over 50 Money Saving boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
Congrats @daveyjp the freedom to extend your trip and not have post holiday blues is just priceless
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pension, Debt Free Wanabee, and Over 50 Money Saving boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
Well played. Are you annuitising from a SIPP for that 10 year income? I'm looking at a similar plan to guarentee an income before SP but have more in ISAs than SIPP so would prefer to buy from that cash.
1 -
We are looking at Australia next (UK) summer - did USA for a month last July shortly after I retired then a year of long haul this year. Google has told me I should be booking early next year for the best prices - being retired I have all the time I need to look for the most comfortable and cheapest itinerary not the quickest.
I think....3 -
i jumped 18mnts ago, zero regrets. weirdly handing back my laptop made it final rather than my last day in the office, i was using up annual leave after that so was a few weeks before i popped back in the office. i toyed with the idea of doing a few days here and there on contract with my old employer bit quickly dropped that idea. living off my SIPP and ISA until DB in 2028. all good
3 -
I do enjoy reading this thread. I've just put the paperwork in to get my DB pension on my 60th birthday in February next year.. I was planning to go part time for another year but things have annoyed me and I'm going to leave at the end of July most likely.
5 -
Well done!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

