Bold leap into retirement

Options
Morning all, I hope you have managed to find some time for yourself in what can be a busy period. We have enjoyed spending time with family over the last 3 days, it’s a quiet one today, then off to visit more family tomorrow.
I’m not planning anything wild for NYE, but have been really starting to think about what I want 2024 to be like for me.

I turned 50 in September, and whilst there are aspects of my job I really enjoy, I’ve been feeling exhausted and burned out (peri-menopause is probably partly to blame).
I have 2 teenagers (DS is 18, and DD is 16), and was widowed in 2010 when they were 2 and 4. I have worked hard and juggled everything and I’m really proud of how far we have come.

I have an outstanding financial commitment which is due to finish in July, I have paid off my mortgage, do not have any debts, and have saved hard into my ISA and pension. I am also in receipt of a dependents pension, which is enough for me to pay my household bills.

I have made the decision to hand in my notice in the new year, to leave work at the end of June, so that my last pay check in July will cover the last financial payment. I plan to top up my income from drawing from savings, (ISA until 57, and then I can access my SIPP post 57). I have checked and double checked my figures, stress tested and asked a trusted friend to check my thought process and analysis. 

It all looks like it will stack up, I suppose I am just cautious as I have felt such a huge financial responsibility for the kids. I am very aware I could take on a consultancy/part-time/contract position, but I want that to be on my terms, if it’s something that interests me. I don’t want it to be finances driving it.
For me, this is why I have worked so hard, to have now achieved financial independence, which allows me to make this decision, it just feels like a bold leap.

I will share my figures and intend to post regularly with updates on how my finances are holding up.  I would love it if you want to join me on my journey.
x

Comments

• Lifematters
    Options
    Congratulations, that’s pretty impressive, retiring so early after bringing up two children. I would love to know how you achieved this and how you organise your finance to manage it.  It must a great feeling to know you don't have to work much longer.  I would love 2024 to be my last year of work! 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
     My dependents pension can cover this outlay.

It seems likely that your late spouse was a member of a DB Scheme - such schemes often provide a pension for dependent children - did you check this out in respect of your children?

• Smudgeismydog
    Options
    Yes, thanks Xylophone. It was a DB scheme, and they also both have a dependent’s pension until 21, if they remain in full-time education 
    Assuming they go to University they can use this to help fund themselves, this also means I won’t need to.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    After saving hard for what seems like forever, I know it will be a huge mindshift to decumulate assets, and so once I’ve left work,

There are regular discussions on the forums about this issue. For example.

,Has saving affected your mental health. — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2023 at 1:13PM
    Options
    I am in a similar position, slightly older at 56, but a man left a widower with two young children after my wife died of cancer.  Are you in receipt of teacher's pension???  I also have paid in the maximum of £40k per year and this year £60k into my DC pension.  I also have a DB pension from an earlier employer.

Your plan is sound.  Congratulations at finding yourself in this position after much planning, hard work and sacrifice.
  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting it sounds like you have things well under control but I look forward to future updates because I'm planning to retire in early 2025.

Just one question - have you asked your employer if they can make any adjustments to your role to reduce the negative aspects?  If your role could be made part-time then maybe this could soften the impact of the 'bold leap'.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2023 at 3:56PM
    Options
    What percentage do you plan withdrawal annually from your SIPP? and how much do you intend to keep as cash for emergencies and cash flow? But your numbers look good for most retirements and you will have state pension to factor in too....well done.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback