Bold leap into retirement

Options

Comments

• Roger175
    Roger175 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smudgeismydog, ah! but just think how much more interesting that 1:1 is going to be when you can say " are you finished, right now my news, I'm leaving in July". Good luck with the plans.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have also been catching up with @sea-shell, who took early retirement. She clearly takes an interest in understanding her finances and reflecting on her income/expenditure, but I never feel they are counting the pennies or reigning in costs, they appear to live the lifestyle they want. Even over the last year, when investments have been uncertain, and inflation has been high, their total assets are higher at the end of the year than they were at the start.

I think you are misunderstanding the negative effects of inflation on investments, pension pots etc.

For example if you start 2023 with £300K and do not spend or add to it, then a typical medium risk portfolio would now be worth lets say £327 K .

However average inflation over 2023 is about 11%, so your £327 K will now only buy you £296K worth of goods compared to what £300K would have bought you on this day 12 months ago. So in real terms the value of your portfolio has actually gone down.

In 2022 it was much worse as  the headline value of portfolios went down and there was inflation as well, so significant drop in real values.

• Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Many thanks for your comments 

First Day back in work yesterday and it was in the office. In line with the push to get people back in offices, we were told we need to stay there all day to be visible, (regardless of productivity), the 1:1 was just as ridiculous. I can’t wait to speak to my next level up manager next week and tell him I’m going to retire in 6 months!!
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for your comments 

First Day back in work yesterday and it was in the office. In line with the push to get people back in offices, we were told we need to stay there all day to be visible, (regardless of productivity), the 1:1 was just as ridiculous. I can’t wait to speak to my next level up manager next week and tell him I’m going to retire in 6 months!!

That'll spoil his weekend :D
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    4% is based on the latest US data but only for US residents using US investments, a mixture of large cap and Treasury bonds. It's for a 30 year plan, the percentage varies with the duration. The author, Bill Bengen, subsequently added some small caps to the mixture and now talks about his 4.5% rule. The rule starts out as the 4% or 4.5% then increases with uncapped inflation every year, not a percentage of the remaining pot. If you do live through a repeat of the worst times the pot is depleted to nothing.

None of the safe withdrawal rules aim to preserve capital, set aside some outside it if you want to. In practice you're likely to die before the end of the plan and investment performance is usually good enough for a lot to be left over.

The UK figure is different because UK investments performed differently. In practice few today would use just UK investments, instead adding at least something like a global tracker to the mix.

Being entirely current doesn't matter much because the percentage is the highest one that would have worked in all past sequences and recent times haven't been as bad.

Because it has to assume the worst without adjustments this is very conservative and around 98% of the time a US investor would finish with more money than they started with, not allowing for inflation 

One of the alternatives is the Guyton-Klinger rules. In the UK this starts at around 5% for a 40 year plan. It'll usually have uncapped inflation increases but depending on the times you live through it may skip some or add extra cuts or increases of 10% a year. This flexibility is why it can start higher and still work. It's also able to handle up to a couple of percent above the actual safe limit if you want to deliberately start high, perhaps because you want to spend more when younger. This makes skips or cuts more likely if you don't live through at least average times or happen to have a bad initial five to ten years. The 10% standard cut is what limits this, you could go an extra percent or two if you use 20% and accept the faster income change. This would make skips and cuts almost certain even in average times. A better way would be to just set aside some of the capital for the early years boost and use the rules for the rest.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sea_shell does that well in part because they greatly underspend their potential and in part because times haven't been challenging.

Bengen has said that what worries him most is sustained high inflation in the first five to ten years. The uncapped inflation increases mean that there's more stress on the ability of the investments to keep up with the plan.

The recent bout of inflation adds some stress but it's not high or prolonged enough to be a big deal, though taking say 98% of income instead of 100% might be good for a particularly cautious person in their first five years even though it's not necessary.
  • Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Albermarle, I feel the mathematical stuff is the best place to start, and you are right, after running lots of figures, I began to feel this could be possible.
    It gave me the confidence to start believing my bold leap into early retirement would be achievable
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback