Calor catastrophe

Options
I have an auto top-up agreement with Calor for my large tank so was surprised that on the 23rd I ran out of gas. No help via the customer service - told I was being allocated an urgent case and not heard anything since. No heat or hot water since then! Has anyone else had this? Can I claim form for of recompense as it has had a massive effect on my Christmas. 

Thanks

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does your contract state about both their and your responsibilities ? Did you not check how much gas was left in the tank yourself at some stage once the weather started getting colder ?
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The tank has a transmitter that relays how much is in the tank to the supplier. I suspect the battery has died.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 December 2023 at 3:58PM
    Options
    As Molerat suggests it's probably a good idea to check yourself every now and again to make sure that everything is working as it should and TBH didn't you notice that you hadn't had a deliver recently and that we are now in the middle of winter.

Keeping an eye of what is going on and when you normally get deliveries should have been a bit of a clue that you hadn't had a refill for sometime.

Interesting that the automatic response is "can I claim compensation" rather than recognising that you probably could have avoided the situation by putting a small amount of effort by checking the tank levels yourself and doing something about it.

I'm not unsympathetic to your predicament, but it was entirely avoidable if you'd have kept an eye on it yourself.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cleagarr
    Cleagarr Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 December 2023 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time. 

My automatic response, for the record, was to cancel the Christmas plans I had, to buy electric heaters and now spend through the nose keeping the house vaguely warm. To
    raise the issue of being compensated for the extra costs seems reasonable to me. 

I have only recently moved in to the House and have never had this set up before. There is a sender and, on querying, Calor say their reading was less that 2% so it should have already been filled. I had just assumed it would happen as the literature I have said it would (I know, how silly of me to expect a company to meet its stated obligations). 

If you take to Twitter you will see that this has happened to a lot of people over the last few weeks so the company is obviously getting something wrong. 
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been waiting 6 months for Calor to remove the bulk tank from my garden. I'll give them one more chance, then I'll sell it for scrap.
  • cannugec5
    Options
    Cleagarr said:
    Thanks for taking the time. 

My automatic response, for the record, was to cancel the Christmas plans I had, to buy electric heaters and now spend through the nose keeping the house vaguely warm. To
    raise the issue of being compensated for the extra costs seems reasonable to me. 

I have only recently moved in to the House and have never had this set up before. There is a sender and, on querying, Calor say their reading was less that 2% so it should have already been filled. I had just assumed it would happen as the literature I have said it would (I know, how silly of me to expect a company to meet its stated obligations). 

If you take to Twitter you will see that this has happened to a lot of people over the last few weeks so the company is obviously getting something wrong. 
    When was their reading taken? 
    How often do they deliver to your area (outwith holidays)- daily? Weekly? Do you know? 
    We have bottled gas ( for cooking only) . We ordered a new bottle on 20th Dec. Next delivery date is tomorrow 27th. But that’s fine, we keep an eye on it so order in time. We have not run out. 
  • Sorting_Hat
    Options
    I've been waiting 6 months for Calor to remove the bulk tank from my garden. I'll give them one more chance, then I'll sell it for scrap.
    That might be difficult as even an "empty" tank will still have vapour in it. So scrapping it is beyond what your typical scrap man would be able to manage.
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You fill it with water, to purge it, before cutting it up.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That might be difficult as even an "empty" tank will still have vapour in it. So scrapping it is beyond what your typical scrap man would be able to manage.
    Local scrappy here manages to cut up aircraft so I don't see an old gas tank really being a problem.

• Sorting_Hat
    Options
    molerat said:
    Local scrappy here manages to cut up aircraft so I don't see an old gas tank really being a problem.

Its the legal aspects as well as safety.

It is not your property and you may be liable for the full retail replacement cost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback