Back boiler broken but no money

Hi. Just looking for advice. My back boiler has finally given up the ghost. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on grants or schemes or any help with the cost of a new boiler. I'm a single working parent with my own home inherited from my grandmother with very limited finances.  At the moment I am boiling the kettle to fill the bath and using an electric radiator and keeping duvets in the lounge to keep warm. Don't know how much longer I can live like this with my 12 Yr old son. Any advice would be brilliant thank you as I am at a loss with what to do next. 

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,730
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Some of the bigger operators offer interest free credit, I think British Gas offer it over 3 years. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,620
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2023 at 4:02PM
    I'm no expert, but I see MSE guide - Free insulation and boiler grants
    And it's possibly better to ask on this board - Energy

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,244
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    rayrayray86 said: My back boiler has finally given up the ghost. Just wondering if anyone has any advice
    It is the wrong time of year to be replacing a boiler - Gas engineers will be busy servicing & repairing everyone else's boilers and very few will have the two or three days needed to install a new one for you. Back boilers are pretty basic, and there is very little to go wrong inside. If yours is anything like my old Baxi, just a thermocopule and a gas valve. Only a cracked heat exchanger would have put it beyond economical repair (but even then, one could probably be sourced from ebay for not a lot).
    If you post the make & model along with a description of the fault, we may be able to offer advice that would see you through to the spring.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Hi. Just looking for advice. My back boiler has finally given up the ghost. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on grants or schemes or any help with the cost of a new boiler. I'm a single working parent with my own home inherited from my grandmother with very limited finances.  At the moment I am boiling the kettle to fill the bath and using an electric radiator and keeping duvets in the lounge to keep warm. Don't know how much longer I can live like this with my 12 Yr old son. Any advice would be brilliant thank you as I am at a loss with what to do next. 
    If you are on a benefit you will get a grant to get it replaced.

That's what I did a few years ago.

• macman
    macman Posts: 52,955
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Who told you it was beyond repair? 'Given up the ghost' does not really tell us much. Almost everything is fixable, the issue is whether it's economic to do so. 
    The nationals do offer finance deals, but of course you will pay more than a local RGI.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've been repeatedly harangued by cold callers over the past few weeks, offering me a free replacement boiler. I don't qualify - not on any benefits, and my ageing boiler is a condenser - but I understand that the calls are legit, and the folk need to fulfil government (or energy provider) grants for upgrading inefficient boilers, especially for those on certain benefits.
    If I can get some more info, I'll add it to this.
    Meanwhile, Ray, call your council - see if they can do anything for you.
    What a miserable thing to happen :-(
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2023 at 7:37PM
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,620
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2023 at 7:50PM
    I think nobody at MSE will be able to explain why their stupid software replaces absolutely normal words "free - boiler -" (remove the spaces) with these exclamation marks.

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,241
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    grumbler said:
    I think nobody at MSE will be able to explain why their stupid software replaces absolutely normal words "free - boiler -" (remove the spaces) with these exclamation marks.

The !!!!!!! replacing words does seem to be a bit random.  Just remember to refer to the device used to turn water to the property off as a stop valve, not a stop followed my male chicken.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,853
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2023 at 9:06PM
    peut etre utilisé arrete-coq , sorry just testing the theory about male chicken.
    Alors it worked so use stop-coq
    American software doesn’t work on all french words except merde
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback