BA Flight delays

Options
Hi all,

I just wanted to understand what other people's experiences have been and what they think my circumstances warrant.
So in Sept my family and I flew to New York with BA:
GLA - LHR
LHR - JFK

Our flight from Glasgow was delayed by 2 hours meaning that we arrived in London around the time our JFK flight left, meaning we missed it. The reason for the delay was that the pilot had overworked the day before meaning he wasn't allowed to fly till he did the next day. We were put on the next available flight which was 4 hours and 40 minutes later.
To compound matters, the plane we were on was different meaning that the original seats that we paid for were not the ones we sat in, I would say they were worse as they were right next to the toilets and food prep gallery meaning there was constant footfall.
We were given £10 voucher each to spend on food in LHR, but that is all.

When we came back I raised a complaint with BA on the 28th of Sept to get compensation for the delays plus a refund for at least the LHR to JFK seats as they were not comparable to what we paid for.

We waited months for a reply, only to receive one last week and for it to completely ignore my compensation request, just to say sorry. What irks me more, is they sent the reply to my wife and not me. I am the one who made the booking, I am the one who paid, I am the one who raised the complaint and the one due the compensation. The only reason they had her email address was so that she could get her boarding pass. All communications had come through me. So I am not sure if that is a GDPR breach as well. Yes, it is technically fine because my wife was on the flight and knew about the complaint. But what if she was not aware of it, it should have gone all through me and I did not give permission (neither did she) to correspond about the complaint to her.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to know if I should be expecting compensation for the LHR to JFK flight because technically the original flight did leave on time, it was just that we were not on it due to the original 2-hour delay from BA and missing it? Should I also be able to claim back for the difference in seats on the LHR to JFK flight?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you buy a continuous ticket of GLA->JFK or was it a "self transfer"?  I am guessing it was continuous as you aren't complaining about having to buy new tickets
  • ian_mac123
    Options
    Did you buy a continuous ticket of GLA->JFK or was it a "self transfer"?  I am guessing it was continuous as you aren't complaining about having to buy new tickets
    Sorry, yeah it was all through BA's website and all BA flights. The connections were all recommended and handled by BA
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I just wanted to understand what other people's experiences have been and what they think my circumstances warrant.
    So in Sept my family and I flew to New York with BA:
    GLA - LHR
    LHR - JFK

Our flight from Glasgow was delayed by 2 hours meaning that we arrived in London around the time our JFK flight left, meaning we missed it. The reason for the delay was that the pilot had overworked the day before meaning he wasn't allowed to fly till he did the next day. We were put on the next available flight which was 4 hours and 40 minutes later.
    To compound matters, the plane we were on was different meaning that the original seats that we paid for were not the ones we sat in, I would say they were worse as they were right next to the toilets and food prep gallery meaning there was constant footfall.
    We were given £10 voucher each to spend on food in LHR, but that is all.

When we came back I raised a complaint with BA on the 28th of Sept to get compensation for the delays plus a refund for at least the LHR to JFK seats as they were not comparable to what we paid for.

We waited months for a reply, only to receive one last week and for it to completely ignore my compensation request, just to say sorry. What irks me more, is they sent the reply to my wife and not me. I am the one who made the booking, I am the one who paid, I am the one who raised the complaint and the one due the compensation. The only reason they had her email address was so that she could get her boarding pass. All communications had come through me. So I am not sure if that is a GDPR breach as well. Yes, it is technically fine because my wife was on the flight and knew about the complaint. But what if she was not aware of it, it should have gone all through me and I did not give permission (neither did she) to correspond about the complaint to her.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to know if I should be expecting compensation for the LHR to JFK flight because technically the original flight did leave on time, it was just that we were not on it due to the original 2-hour delay from BA and missing it? Should I also be able to claim back for the difference in seats on the LHR to JFK flight?
    But she was aware of it. So there is no point in the “what ifs” because what if they only replied to her, because they were fully aware that she already had all the information about the booking. 
    Yes, of course, they should have reply to you directly, but it’s really not worth getting exercised about in terms of GDPR.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ian_mac123
    Options
    elsien said:
    But she was aware of it. So there is no point in the “what ifs” because what if they only replied to her, because they were fully aware that she already had all the information about the booking. 
    Yes, of course, they should have reply to you directly, but it’s really not worth getting exercised about in terms of GDPR.
    Yeah, that is fair enough. It is just frustrating as it is yet another thing that BA did wrong and caused another week's delay as it went straight into her spam folder and she was not expecting a reply from them to go to her. I am just looking for any reason to go nuclear on BA  :D
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 December 2023 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Whether you're due compensation or not depends on how late you landed in JFK compared to your scheduled arrival time. 

On seat reservations, i'd be pushing for the seat reservation fee back (not sure what their T&C's say about that) but anything above that I think the apology would have to suffice, if you're a BA Exec club member with status they may throw some Avios at you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback