Upfront payments for TV Licence?

Options
I am struggling to get my head around paying monthly for my TV Licence. I think I'm missing something?

I currently pay it by quarterly direct debit at £41.00 every three months, which includes an extra £1.25 charge. The total annual cost is £164.00. With the TV Licence increasing next year, I thought I would pay monthly instead and save myself the £5.00 extra charge.

Then I found out you have to pay double upfront for the first six months.

Over the course of the first year, the total payment is £238.50? That's £74.50 more than quarterly payments. After that, paying monthly is £5.00 a year cheaper, but it would take nearly 15 years (£74.50 divided by 5) before I start making a saving?

Like I said, I'm probably missing something?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,073 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The savings you make are instantaneous as the monthly amount is 1/12 of the annual after the first 6 months.  At that point you are paying for use your will have in 6 months time. 

Over the length of time you are paying quarterly you will always be that extra £5 a year out of pocket.  The only way you might be considered out of pocket by going monthly is that you might be keeping 6 months of payments in a high rate savings account instead.  At 5% that might get you £4 in a year so you're close to breaking even.   
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • dank_2
    dank_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still don't get it  :/

No other service makes you pay double upfront or pay in advance? I don't understand why they can't just charge £13.25 a month from day one. A bit morbid, but does the extra six months get paid back when I pop my clogs?
  • Brie
    Options
    Insurance is normally paid annually in advance. If you pay monthly you aren't paying off the insurance you are paying off a credit agreement that includes the price of the insurance with interest added.  

And then there's all that credit we build up with utility companies. 

TV license is the single one I don't mind paying in advance.  That said I don't pay monthly I pay annually up front.  

One thing you can do with the TV license is pay double for 6 months and then cancel your DD until the year is up and then start again.  I did this a few times when money was a bit tight. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Options
    Oh and as for popping any clogs.....it's also the easiest organisation to get a refund from (unusual considering it's Capita that runs it).  So if after 8 months you want to cancel your DD they are very quick to refund the 2 extra months paid for.  
  • dank_2
    dank_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Brie said:

One thing you can do with the TV license is pay double for 6 months and then cancel your DD until the year is up and then start again.  I did this a few times when money was a bit tight. 
    That's not a bad idea!

I kinda understand the pricing model now, but it still seems slightly archaic in a world of Netflix and Spotify that you can't just pay the same set amount each month. 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,845 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2023 at 7:11PM
    Options
    dank_2 said:

No other service makes you pay double upfront or pay in advance?
    <snipped>
    A bit morbid, but does the extra six months get paid back when I pop my clogs?
    If you pay for your TV license annually, then you are paying for the whole year in advance. 
    And yes, your estate would get a refund if you died
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 December 2023 at 8:12PM
    Options
    dank_2 said:

No other service makes you pay double upfront or pay in advance? I don't understand why they can't just charge £13.25 a month from day one. A bit morbid, but does the extra six months get paid back when I pop my clogs?

Car Insurance.
    Council Tax.
    Other forms of insurance
    Rent is paid up front.
    Your internet is paid in advance.
    If you pay for Sky/Virgin, you pay for that in advance.

Need I go on?

And its not "double" up front, you're paying for effectively two licences in the first year - all of the first one and half of the second one..
    It tells you this on the website:https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/direct-debit - "We'll usually spread the cost of your first Direct Debit licence over six months, at around £26.50 a month. From then on you’ll pay around £13.25 a month."
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    We used to pay our TVL monthly and when we transferred to annually we had a 6 month payment gap because we'd already paid for the 6 months after the notice was given. Half in advance and half in arrears is not that complex
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 December 2023 at 9:55AM
    Options
    dank_2 said:

As above - it's not so much paying double as paying in advance.  The Licence is an annual tax, and it is normally payable annually in advance.  

The additional 6 months credit will be refunded if you ever cancel your Licence or if you change your payment method.

I think it may be possible to game the system by paying for 6 months on instalments (@ c. £23pm), and then canceling or changing to an annual Licence.   I think in that latter case you will then be offered 6 months payment free, and then at the end of that you can go back on instalments, and go round again.

Obviously, the cheapest Licence is not needing a Licence at all...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    Options
    dank_2 said:
    I am struggling to get my head around paying monthly for my TV Licence. I think I'm missing something?

I currently pay it by quarterly direct debit at £41.00 every three months, which includes an extra £1.25 charge. The total annual cost is £164.00. With the TV Licence increasing next year, I thought I would pay monthly instead and save myself the £5.00 extra charge.

Then I found out you have to pay double upfront for the first six months.

Over the course of the first year, the total payment is £238.50? That's £74.50 more than quarterly payments. After that, paying monthly is £5.00 a year cheaper, but it would take nearly 15 years (£74.50 divided by 5) before I start making a saving?

Like I said, I'm probably missing something?

If you can afford it pay a lump sum, cancel the DD and take out a new licence on 1/3/24 then you get 11 months at £159 then you can revaluate the payment in Feb 2025 as to whether to get another licence or not. 
    Someone please tell me what money is
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure