Anyone use utility warehouse for just electric no other products

Options
Cazella
Cazella Posts: 49 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post
Hi just wondering if anyone has used uw for just one product.on e7 with edf .as it’s going up in jan looked up uw and they published their variable figure for Jan this afternoon.it is 10.89 for night and 38 day .edf jan 16.28 night and 34.80 day .e.midlands.also reading terms it says they can take over other smart meters but might lose ability for them to take automated readings.cant get up to my meter it’s so high lol so anyone out there with them and how good or bad they are .would be grateful for some input😀x

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    It doesn't matter how bad a supplier is as long as you know your tariff, your exact energy usage and get the start and end readings correct for billing.

If they offer you the best rates calculating your night usage then make the switch.
  • JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 December 2023 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Yes, I was with them earlier this year on their E7 tariff and nothing else.  I'm also about to switch back to them for electricity only.
  • superkoopauk
    Options
    When was your meter installed?  If it is smart it is a little odd they installed it in an inaccessible place.  You may need to ask UW to exchange it if they cannot pick up the readings but that would be the only concern
  • Cazella
    Options
    Hi thanks for replies.my meter has always been same place .(old Victorian property)edf changed it to smart meter 2 years ago where old style meter was.about 8 feet off the ground .cant get on a ladder anymore like I used to which is why I had smart meter.maybe I can get someone to take readings for me .it’s an itron with two blue arc buttons with orange in the middle of it on the right hand side ( have no idea how to post picture)and can’t find info on how to take the readings anywhere either.any ideas or links would be great then I can get someone to take readings 🤞and will definitely change to them at those prices 
  • JSHarris
    Options
    When was your meter installed?  If it is smart it is a little odd they installed it in an inaccessible place.  You may need to ask UW to exchange it if they cannot pick up the readings but that would be the only concern

The problem is that the meter fitter can only usually install the meter where the incomer and head are located.  Meter fitters aren't normally fully qualified electricians, nor  do they have the skills required for live working on the DNO side of the main fuse (they are required to pull the main fuse and dead test to make the installation safe before doing any work), so they can't joint and extend the DNO incomer to relocate the meter.
    The DNO can move the location of the incomer and main fuse on request (at a price - better be sitting down if you're asking), but suppliers don't usually do a great job at talking with DNOs.
    The split of responsibilities is complex, the DNO owns the incomer and fuse, a meter administration company usually owns the meter (and deals with suppliers) and the consumer owns everything from the meter to the rest of the house.  The suppliers just work through the meter admin company when making changes to the meter, but can't do anything on either the consumer side or the DNO side.  To make a meter move more complex, the tails from the main fuse to the house consumer unit must not exceed 3 metres (as they aren't fuse protected - 3m is the maximum allowed for "back fusing").  If the tails need to be longer than 3m then an additional switched fuse isolator needs to be installed between the meter and the consumer unit, and the tails normally need to be mechanically protected, which is best achieved by running them as SWA.
    Because of all this complication a meter move can be complicated and costly.
  • Cazella
    Options
    hi thanks for info but on mine where the two blue buttons are they are arced and there is a round orange button in between the the blue arcs so don’t know if it is smet 1 or 2 .guess orange might be the start button and blues scrolling but no idea lol.had read uw communicate with smet 2 but not so well with 1.if I wait for my dec bill I might just send those readings in and add couple days on normal useage.wish ihd gave the split readings would then be very simple .
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 December 2023 at 11:53PM
    Options
    Cazella said:
    hi thanks for info but on mine where the two blue buttons are they are arced and there is a round orange button in between the the blue arcs so don’t know if it is smet 1 or 2 .guess orange might be the start button and blues scrolling but no idea lol.had read uw communicate with smet 2 but not so well with 1.if I wait for my dec bill I might just send those readings in and add couple days on normal useage.wish ihd gave the split readings would then be very simple .
    @Cazilla Try this !
    Are you on the Priority Services Register?  If so, someone will come to read your meter if you can't do it yourself.
    EDF even say this:-

Move your meter to a better place

Are you, or anyone else in your home, disabled or has difficulty reaching or reading your gas or electricity meter? Don't worry. We may be able to move your meter to a new position so it's easier for you to read.

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 December 2023 at 11:53PM
    Options
    Just ran a quote and their Midlands region 1st Jan variable is:

Day Time Unit Rate - 39.144 pence per kWh
    Night Time Unit Rate - 10.791 pence per kWh
    Standing Charge - 53.656 pence per day

Very tempting if they aren't a complete nightmare of a supplier.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    UW haven't got the best reputation and they pester you to take other services.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback