IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help please. I have 3 parking tickets, 1 going to court @ £270.80 and 2 @ £170.

Options
I've got myself in a terrible mess with these fines. 

It's a local train station car park and I park there a lot. Over the past 18 months there's been 3 or 4 instances where I forgot to pay. I then either didn't receive the fine in the post or I didn't open/deal with the letter within 6 weeks. 

My issue is that after 6 weeks you can not pay the fine. It just goes straight to BW Legal. 

On the NCP website it just states that it's with Debt Recovery and no option to pay the £100. So instead of £60 or £100, you have to pay £170 and give all your personal information to a debt collection company. 

As I didn't want to do that I thought I'd go to small claims court and I've just had letter that the first fine (not £270.80) is going to court. In court I was going to say that I was happy to pay the fine at £60 but not the £200+ in legal costs and debt collection fees. 

Do you feel this is a good enough case to be allowed to pay this? 

Thank you very much for helping. 

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got myself in a terrible mess with these fines
    No you haven't, and they aren't fines.

If you have a claim form please show it. Only cover your data, the VRM, claim number and MCOL Password.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BrickwallPap
    Options
    Hi , sorry for the delay. Please see attached. 

One is going to court on the 20th December which they are now offering a 25% discount. 

The other is to say the letter of claim has expired. 

Please can you advise me on how to defend myself and if you believe the court will make me pay the full amount, or the full amount plus lawyers fees, or if the court will agree with me and make me only pay the actual parking fine (and not all the crazy high charges).

• BrickwallPap
    Options
    Thank you 

• Coupon-mad
    edited 27 March at 4:35PM
    Options
    Re the one with the Dec 2024 hearing date, you should be preparing your WS bundle like the NEWBIES thread (and the Hearing Order) tells you.

What's your deadline?  Please don't reply saying you don't know. You do: page 2 of the court's Order.

Re the LBC one, send the response for LBCs shown in the NEWBIES thread and add a paragraph telling them they can't bring a new 'we forgot this one' case to court because they should have pleaded it (NCP's whole case) in the first claim ref xxxxxxx that has a hearing set.  The doctrine of cause of action estoppel applies and the court will not hear claims on a drip-by-drip multiple claim basis.
  • Harvez63
    Harvez63 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 4:42PM
    Options
    hahaha Translated for you "great news, we're trying to scam you for slightly less then originally". 

Dont read CCJ without reading the bits not so obvious, such as "could lead to a CCJ", "could".

CCJ just means IF it got to court, and IF BWL cretins didn't discontinue sneakily before, and IF you lost the case, and IF you didn't pay what the judge ordered within a month (likely less then what they're trying to take from you now anyway) then you would at this point get a CCJ. If you loose and paid the what the judge ordered within a month, no CCJ stays on a register. Therefore do not be afraid of the threat of a CCJ. 

Dont ever see them as clever legal representatives in tailored suits, they're professional scammers in tracksuits. OK I can actually prove the latter, but you'll see them for what they're at the end of all this.

I'll leave for some proper advice for now but with the help on this forum, and time spent reading the NEWBIES thread, you'll be OK. 
  • BrickwallPap
    Options

There is no deadline - I can't see one anyway (thank you very much for helping)
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please read Note 6 again.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options

There is no deadline - I can't see one anyway (thank you very much for helping)
    There is.   
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback