Cancelling ebay purchase

2

Comments

  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Son phoned ebay to cancel and they said he couldn't and to wait to see if item arrives and if it doesn.t to file a INR.

    Well item did arrive and is not the make that was advertised.  It was supposed to be Apple Ear Buds but is not Apple.
    The box is totally different to the one advertised and so are the numbers etc on the box .   Anyway, Son started a claim on ebay as not as described on the same day.

    Ever since then the seller has been PHONING him to badger him into opening the the cellophane on the box to see there is another box inside.  Apparently, he had to hide the Apple box to get through customs????. (This is a private seller in this country) 

    Son has blocked him from phoning but today he has texted him and phoned another 3 times from a different number.
    I don't think the seller can send messages as when son stated process in his purchases it seems that seller was blocked or something so maybe ebay are onto him.

    Would it be best to wait for the 3 days for ebay to get involved or phone them beforehand
  • moonpenny said:
    Item was only ordered last night and straight away the seller phoned to say it will be 12-14 days longer than expected (my son is the buyer so don't  know the delivery date)
     He was also a bit annoyed that the seller knew his phone number.  Is this displayed on everyone's details?

    Anyway, back to the point, so my son just has to wait to the last delivery date and then open an INR?
    How do they have your private details ?
    I always thought private email or phone number details weren't allowed on the site ?
  • moonpenny said:
    Just found out the estimated delivery date is 12-14 Dec and the seller phoned straight away to say it will be 12 -14 days longer. 
    As this is needed as a Christmas gift son thought it best to cancel.

    Didn't  think it would be a problem as this was all done today (only bought last night) and the buyer hasn't  even got the item to post anyway so thought it would be really straight forward.

    Looks like a dodgy seller as no feedback etc. Son didn't check beforehand!!!
    But how is this happening .... Ebay regulations etc etc ?
  • moonpenny said:
    Son phoned ebay to cancel and they said he couldn't and to wait to see if item arrives and if it doesn.t to file a INR.

    Well item did arrive and is not the make that was advertised.  It was supposed to be Apple Ear Buds but is not Apple.
    The box is totally different to the one advertised and so are the numbers etc on the box .   Anyway, Son started a claim on ebay as not as described on the same day.

    Ever since then the seller has been PHONING him to badger him into opening the the cellophane on the box to see there is another box inside.  Apparently, he had to hide the Apple box to get through customs????. (This is a private seller in this country) 

    Son has blocked him from phoning but today he has texted him and phoned another 3 times from a different number.
    I don't think the seller can send messages as when son stated process in his purchases it seems that seller was blocked or something so maybe ebay are onto him.

    Would it be best to wait for the 3 days for ebay to get involved or phone them beforehand
    The whole transaction is dodgy.
    I think your son must have provided his number because in all the years (a lot) i've been on Ebay their messaging system will block attempts of giving emails or phone numbers - yes, i've tried it in the past and unless there's a way to circumvent, i don't know of, it can't happen.

    In any case, get the refund done and block this seller.
    Report the seller, the facility is there, do use it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,164 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you go into order details (you will be asked to log in again via 2FA) you can get the buyers telephone number if they added one when they set up their account. Adding a phone number was a requirement to set up an account in the past, not sure if it still is. 

    I’ve just checked a random 5 orders (time consuming with the 2FA) I have phone numbers for 4 out of 5 of the sales. Obviously I have no idea whether they are valid or not.

    I have my phone number registered as it enables me to get eBay phone help easily as I can go via help and ask them to phone me. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm a private seller and the buyers phone number shows underneath the address details.
    Seems to be on all of the orders (including gsp) apart from ones going to a collection point.
  • se2020 said:
    I'm a private seller and the buyers phone number shows underneath the address details.
    Seems to be on all of the orders (including gsp) apart from ones going to a collection point.
    That's very interesting, i had no idea - well, why would i really, having never sold anything !!!
  • soolin said:
    If you go into order details (you will be asked to log in again via 2FA) you can get the buyers telephone number if they added one when they set up their account. Adding a phone number was a requirement to set up an account in the past, not sure if it still is. 

    I’ve just checked a random 5 orders (time consuming with the 2FA) I have phone numbers for 4 out of 5 of the sales. Obviously I have no idea whether they are valid or not.

    I have my phone number registered as it enables me to get eBay phone help easily as I can go via help and ask them to phone me. 
    Interesting - never knew that.
    In all the years on Ebay i've never had a seller ring me.
    Possibly ...... knowing me though i wouldn't have provided a phone number as i wouldn't find it a necessary function, messaging me through the main site suffices, i see it and respond immediately.

    Your posts are always informative 👍

  • Sounds like a drop-shipper
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Issue is sorted now. Got refund.

    One thing that really concerned (son) was the seller constantly phoning him even though he had blocked him and then phoning him using his business name and number ( tradesman, plumber) 

    At no point has he given ebay his business name and details. 




Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards