Cancelling ebay purchase

How do I cancell ebay item I have paid for?
Seller said delivery will be longer than expected  Have messaged buyer to say I want to can cell.  I have paid by PayPal 

Comments

• jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You need to do this via Paypal now it's been paid for and presumably shipped. Go to the resolution centre and open a dispute after waiting 7 days for delivery.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,863
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    jlfrs01 said:
    You need to do this via Paypal now it's been paid for and presumably shipped. Go to the resolution centre and open a dispute after waiting 7 days for delivery.
    I disagree don’t go via PayPal if the item is late according to the estimated delivery date OP can open an INR on eBay. This might not necessarily work as if seller can get it to the OP before the case is escalated then buyer would need to return it at their own cost . 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,424
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not been shipped yet- sent message to seller stating wish to cancel as seller said item will take longer than expected.
    Went into purchases first and came up in red that unable to cancel and to get in touch with seller.

Seller responded that he will get in touch with his supplier to see if he can cancel.  Surely HE is the supplier and as such he can cancel or not.
    Incidently he is listed as a private seller (with no returns accepted) so why would he have a supplier?

Not sure where to go from here, do I just wait for him to get back in touch or get on to ebay?

• soolin
    Ambassador
    moonpenny said:
    Not been shipped yet- sent message to seller stating wish to cancel as seller said item will take longer than expected.
    Went into purchases first and came up in red that unable to cancel and to get in touch with seller.

Seller responded that he will get in touch with his supplier to see if he can cancel.  Surely HE is the supplier and as such he can cancel or not.
    Incidently he is listed as a private seller (with no returns accepted) so why would he have a supplier?

Not sure where to go from here, do I just wait for him to get back in touch or get on to ebay?

Are you past the last estimated delivery date yet? If so now that you’ve contacted the seller you should be able to open an INR 

I do find that some of the obvious business sellers that mis register as private often have other dodgy issues. I’m not talking about the smaller ones that sell a few bits and pieces but when they are drop shipping, as it appears to be in your case, I think them best avoided. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moonpenny
    Forumite
    Item was only ordered last night and straight away the seller phoned to say it will be 12-14 days longer than expected (my son is the buyer so don't  know the delivery date)
     He was also a bit annoyed that the seller knew his phone number.  Is this displayed on everyone's details?

Anyway, back to the point, so my son just has to wait to the last delivery date and then open an INR?
  • Sounds like a business pretending to be a private seller. I sell one eBay bespoke items that I actually make, and have had a couple of requests to cancel. As long as I have not started to make it or have not posted it, I would accept the cancellation.
    Although you used PayPal, the rules changed some time ago whereby eBay control the money. I could be wrong but I don't think PayPal can intervene now like they used to be able to do.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    moonpenny said:
    Item was only ordered last night and straight away the seller phoned to say it will be 12-14 days longer than expected (my son is the buyer so don't  know the delivery date)
     He was also a bit annoyed that the seller knew his phone number.  Is this displayed on everyone's details?

Anyway, back to the point, so my son just has to wait to the last delivery date and then open an INR?
    Unfortunately then yes your son can't open an INR until such time that the last estimated delivery date has passed. A good seller will always cancel , I even do it on my private accounts as there seems very little point in sending something to someone that they don't want, and which will almost certainly come back to you at a much later date. I might say a few rude words specially if I have item packed and about to go to the PO- but I do cancel. 

If the seller through is drop shipping he probably can't do anything about it as it is possible it might even be coming from outside the UK - but if anyone is home if it gets delivered try and refuse the parcel and make sure it is marked as not delivered. A business seller might be able to raise an argument with paypal about it- but then this seller is masquerading as a private seller so probably won't want ebay to take too much notice of their account.

Also get your son to look at the sellers feedback, any mention of drop shipping or slow delivery, does it definitely state that item is being sent from the UK? 

• soolin
    Ambassador
    Sounds like a business pretending to be a private seller. I sell one eBay bespoke items that I actually make, and have had a couple of requests to cancel. As long as I have not started to make it or have not posted it, I would accept the cancellation.
    Although you used PayPal, the rules changed some time ago whereby eBay control the money. I could be wrong but I don't think PayPal can intervene now like they used to be able to do.
    Like you I have a business account and it can be frustrating to see other businesses pretending to be private sellers. 

You are correct as well in that since managed payments the link between the sender and recipient with paypal has been lost, I don't always use paypal on ebay any more but on the occasions I do it no longer shows me paying the seller, instead I pay ebay. Since there are no named goods shown I suspect an INR wouldn't work, 
  • moonpenny
    Forumite
    Just found out the estimated delivery date is 12-14 Dec and the seller phoned straight away to say it will be 12 -14 days longer. 
    As this is needed as a Christmas gift son thought it best to cancel.

Didn't  think it would be a problem as this was all done today (only bought last night) and the buyer hasn't  even got the item to post anyway so thought it would be really straight forward.

Looks like a dodgy seller as no feedback etc. Son didn't check beforehand!!!
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    It’s probably a long shot but it might be worth phoning eBay and explain what seller has said, I’d definitely give it a go. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback