Options
2»

Comments

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    It can cause issues and you are responsible for declaring any changes. Why wouldn't you just declare the change.
    Moving to a different bank isn't a CoC.

See link in response above, gov.uk inidcates overwise.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is, to check their benefits payments won't be affected by switching bank account.

Apologies, commented on the wrong thread. :|
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    tomtom256 said:
    It can cause issues and you are responsible for declaring any changes. Why wouldn't you just declare the change.

Sadly Government website & DWP don't always give the best advice (sometimes the worse advice).

• finding or finishing a job
    • having a child
    • moving in with your partner
    • starting to care for a child or disabled person
    • changing your mobile number or email address
    • moving to a new address
    • changing your bank details
    • your rent going up or down
    • changes to your health condition
    • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach
    • changes to your earnings (only if you’re self-employed)
    • changes to your savings, investments and how much money you have
    • changes to your immigration status, if you’re not a British citizen
    The two that are emboldened aren't CoC as far as benefit law is concerned, as these can never affect benefit entitlement.
    They do need reporting but rather than explain the difference they are all lumped together.
    Using the Switch service the bank change is reported, just not by the claimant.

The law on UC is you need to report any capital over £6k  If you look at the italicized one about savings, if you followed that every time you put a tenner into a savings account you would need to report it, every time you took a tenner out you would have to report it as there has been a change to your savings. Every time you spend money  you would have to report it as there's a change to how much money you have.

The end result it makes people worry needlessly about what really is a CoC in legal terms.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 December 2023 at 2:53AM
    Options
    When you apply for the new bank account you specifically (electronically, if online) sign the terms and conditions of the new account, part of which is allowing the new bank contact everyone involved on your behalf to do all the necessary change of circumstances required as part of the Switch process. There's no real need for you to then do it again yourself, it only causes more work for everyone involved.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 December 2023 at 3:22AM
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    tomtom256 said:
    It's not a change of circumstances as such... this is something that should automatically be resolved by the banking switch and it would not affect benefit entitlement. I would be concerned any manual attempt to interfere with 3rd parties on this could cause confusion, risk of error or be unsuitably timed to deal with the change.

Can't say I've ever had issues with banking switches regarding benefit payments or direct debit outgoings. Often organisations will send a letter confirming they've changed your bank details. More of an issue is any regular payments you may have with a card associated with old bank account... that can take a bit of manual surgery.

I have known many payments that get declined, as the banking system reports back to the payment system that the funds have been forwarded to a different account and more times then not, the payment system blocks further payments owing to this. So why would you risk not receiving a payment over a free phone call or a quick online change and visit to a jobcentre to get the account verified if on UC. The mind boggles and yes I get health conditions etc, but if payment wasn't made they would soon be on the phone complaining.
    See https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/changes-of-circumstances indicates a change of bank details needs to be reported.

I would trust the banks and switching protocols more than a claimant and Universal Credit staff to get the details and timing right. Whether it is a change of banking details or not is open to interpretation... I'd say it is just a switch of account and during that process the banks are responsible for dealing with those changes. I'd report a change of account or change of details on the account but I'd be very reluctant to inform of a switch of account given there is already a process in place for dealing with that.

If payments are declined or problematic... complaint time indeed... another great way to make money. If the problem is on UC side then MP complaint. Systems should work... people switch banks.. it's meant to be a relatively painless act with automation. There should be a window of a month if an issue arises after a redirected payment and the switch process should mean UC get notified of the change. I get that you think a single communication to UC would prevent any problem but I would be surprised if that is going to always be the case... UC staff and timely ability to process along with what you suggest are defective systems plus risk of errors from claimant must present failures. 
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Brokeandbroke
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    This isn't a change, it's a bank switch. Partly due to her account being repeatedly targeted by fraud and her bank keeps allowing it and just giving her £30 compensation each time it's happened. HillStreetBlues said:
    This is, to check their benefits payments won't be affected by switching bank account.
    I agree, so wondering if posted in wrong thread?
    If it was, my bad. I used tags and tried to select the right area, but this is both benefits and banking advice that I'm needing help with
  • Brokeandbroke
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    tomtom256 said:

Sadly Government website & DWP don't always give the best advice (sometimes the worse advice).

• having a child
    The two that are emboldened aren't CoC as far as benefit law is concerned, as these can never affect benefit entitlement.
    They do need reporting but rather than explain the difference they are all lumped together.

The law on UC is you need to report any capital over £6k  If you look at the italicized one about savings, if you followed that every time you put a tenner into a savings account you would need to report it, every time you took a tenner out you would have to report it as there has been a change to your savings. Every time you spend money  you would have to report it as there's a change to how much money you have.

The end result it makes people worry needlessly about what really is a CoC in legal terms.

This is part of the issue I'm worrying about. 

UC rules are vague at times and the bank account rule is to keep an eye on savings/laundering. This is a straight switch. 

Esa have told me it's completely fine (which I get) and they have them often. But universal credit don't answer her journal as she's on the extra element, and they won't answer my question as I'm not on universal credit and even though I get carers, they won't answer on her behalf. Its really frustrating but its not worth it if she's gonna get sanctioned as she has no ability to get to her closest job centre 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    tomtom256 said:

• having a child

This is part of the issue I'm worrying about. 

UC rules are vague at times and the bank account rule is to keep an eye on savings/laundering. This is a straight switch. 

Esa have told me it's completely fine (which I get) and they have them often. But universal credit don't answer her journal as she's on the extra element, and they won't answer my question as I'm not on universal credit and even though I get carers, they won't answer on her behalf. Its really frustrating but its not worth it if she's gonna get sanctioned as she has no ability to get to her closest job centre 
    She wouldn't get sanctioned for it.

I guess if she's really worried she could put a note on her journal, but say she's using the switching service so they don't need to do anything.  That way she's technically notified them - but if nobody ever answers journal messages then presumably nobody will do anything to interfere anyway!
  • adymarsh
    adymarsh Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's easy for certain people to say just ring the DWP but if you're on pip,ESA, tax credits and child benefit imagine how many hours that would take in the phone. Not that it would take long once you get through, but I've been trying to get through for two hours once just to change my address!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback