Universal credit and bank switch.

Options
Hi all. 

I'm a carer for a friend who gets UC and PIP. 
Recently seen the £175 switching offer with first direct, and called them to ask for clarification. 

After speaking with 5 staff, 3 had no idea what universal credit is. One said no. And the other said yes. 

So, does universal credit (LCWRA) automatically switch? 
Please don't share a link that says it does. Because I'm aware this isn't always the case, and my friend quite literally has no ability to get to a job centre, should they sanction her for change of circumstances, which they do until you can get there in person with ID. Her neatest is 20 miles and they don't have trains, just a 2 and a half hour bus. 

Ideally hoping for people on UC who've switched. 

Thanks. :) 

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 December 2023 at 3:18PM
    Options
    I have switched a few times.
    The UC payment (all components) will switch like everything else . The DWP might phone to confirm the claimant knows about the switch.
    PIP will switch as well.

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Brokeandbroke
    Options
    I have switched a few times.
    The UC payment (all components) will switch like everything else . The DWP might phone to confirm the claimant knows about the switch.
    PIP will switch as well.

Awesome, thank you 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would add two hints thought

1) once the account is opened check with DWP that the switch has been completed and they are aware of the new account.

2) The offer may be attached to a certain type of account and the bank will credit score new customers and may not offer the account that attracts the new bonus. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It can cause issues and you are responsible for declaring any changes. Why wouldn't you just declare the change.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    It can cause issues and you are responsible for declaring any changes. Why wouldn't you just declare the change.
    Moving to a different bank isn't a CoC.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,779 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2023 at 8:32PM
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    It's not a change of circumstances as such... this is something that should automatically be resolved by the banking switch and it would not affect benefit entitlement. I would be concerned any manual attempt to interfere with 3rd parties on this could cause confusion, risk of error or be unsuitably timed to deal with the change.

Can't say I've ever had issues with banking switches regarding benefit payments or direct debit outgoings. Often organisations will send a letter confirming they've changed your bank details. More of an issue is any regular payments you may have with a card associated with old bank account... that can take a bit of manual surgery.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    This is, to check their benefits payments won't be affected by switching bank account.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    This is, to check their benefits payments won't be affected by switching bank account.
    I agree, so wondering if posted in wrong thread?
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2023 at 11:40PM
    Options
    tomtom256 said:
    It's not a change of circumstances as such... this is something that should automatically be resolved by the banking switch and it would not affect benefit entitlement. I would be concerned any manual attempt to interfere with 3rd parties on this could cause confusion, risk of error or be unsuitably timed to deal with the change.

Can't say I've ever had issues with banking switches regarding benefit payments or direct debit outgoings. Often organisations will send a letter confirming they've changed your bank details. More of an issue is any regular payments you may have with a card associated with old bank account... that can take a bit of manual surgery.

I have known many payments that get declined, as the banking system reports back to the payment system that the funds have been forwarded to a different account and more times then not, the payment system blocks further payments owing to this. So why would you risk not receiving a payment over a free phone call or a quick online change and visit to a jobcentre to get the account verified if on UC. The mind boggles and yes I get health conditions etc, but if payment wasn't made they would soon be on the phone complaining.
    See https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/changes-of-circumstances indicates a change of bank details needs to be reported.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback