Ryanair - queue at airport for boarding pass

Ryanair has come up with something new to encourage people to pay for a selected seat.

Choosing a free random seat has resulted in some passengers being refused a digital boarding pass and being told to queue for a paper one at the airport.

It is unclear who this affects. It may be the case that this only applies to the final cohort of passengers to check-in. Premium seats are the last to be allocated and Ryanair know some passengers delay checking in until the last moment in the hope of securing one free.

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,889
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What route was this for? I believe some overseas departure airports require a printed boarding pass (Morocco). 
  • Westin said:
    What route was this for? I believe some overseas departure airports require a printed boarding pass (Morocco). 
    It appears to be happening all over Europe.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,527
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It may be the case that this only applies to the final cohort of passengers to check-in. Premium seats are the last to be allocated and Ryanair know some passengers delay checking in until the last moment in the hope of securing one free.
    I was always such a passenger and hardly ever failed to succeed. Perhaps the method became too popular and Ryanair had to find the remedy.

Evolution, not revolution
  • Westin said:
    Madeira for return to the UK too.
    Arch
  • Westin
    Forumite
    Westin said:
    It appears to be happening all over Europe.
    What is your routing, the one you have found this requirement to collect a printed boarding card at the airport for?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,298
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Some passengers I know simply board the plane last and take the best available unoccupied seat. Why overpay ? 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2023 at 11:31PM
    I suspect the OP isn't personally affected but has picked up on this on social media? Otherwise they'd be happy to tell the forum which route they were on? 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,226
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bagand96 said:
    I suspect the OP isn't personally affected but has picked up on this on social media? Otherwise they'd be happy to tell the forum which route they were on? 
    They did mention it was from Madeira to the UK.
  • bigfer
    bigfer Posts: 314
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This story was in the Daily Mail yesterday. 

• Westin
    Forumite
    bagand96 said:
    They did mention it was from Madeira to the UK.
    That was another poster who indicated that Funchal was similar to Morocco in requiring a printed boarding card.  The OP has for some reason decided not to mention the route that they have discovered this on. 

I suspect this is actually not a widespread issue and not as the OP (and Daily Mail) report as a money making RyanAir matter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback