Hired a car from SIXT for the weekend. No damage sustained. Over 800 pounds removed from my account.

Options
I live in Vienna. On 23 September I flew to the UK for the weekend to attend a college reunion. I hired a car with SIXT, who I've used many times. The next day I returned the car, undamaged, to a member of staff.

Nearly a week later I received an email from a no-reply address with an 'SXT Damage number' and a request that I should click on a link 'to fill in your valuable information'. I thought it was a bit phish-y, particularly as SIXT had already sent me the invoice and everything looked to be in order, so I forwarded it to SIXT's damage department and asked their advice.

Over the next couple of weeks I received two more messages purporting to be from SIXT, with no specific information in the body of the messages and some attachments that I didn't open as I thought it might be unsafe to do so.

On 27 October, I noticed that SIXT had removed GBP 844-52 from my account two days previously. I telephoned them the following Monday morning, but the person on the other end of the phone patiently and politely explained that one can only deal with the damage department by email. I have not yet heard anything back from them. She suggested that I write again and include more information about my rental. I followed her advice, but received no reply. I have also written to an alternative SIXT email address.

I wonder what I can do to reclaim the money that was removed from my account?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Now knowing you have been charged for damages you have presumably looked at the prior emails and seen what damage they are alleging? 

Presumably you have your handover document showing it was clean when returned?

You could attempt a chargeback via your card issuer but I'd personally rather have the conversation with Sixt first 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you left the car, was there a check-out inspection? If so, what did that confirm?

If not (e.g. you dropped the car off) then did you take photos to confirm the condition of the car?

What is the alleged damage? 
  • brianposter
    Options
    It is not unknown for car rental companies to make simple mistakes about damage. I would start by insisting that the car was not damaged when returned and that they have presumably made a bureaucratic mistake.
    Keep your invoice back as evidence that the car was returned undamaged.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's also not unknown for car rental companies to try-it-on! Take a look at this Code of Practice, and challenge the rental company to comply. Any non-compliance could be used to force a charge-back with your bank/credit card. https://www.bvrla.co.uk/resource/bvrla-rental-code-of-conduct.html
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Askto see photos of the damaged car - it might not be the car that you hired.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback