Deprivation of capital

Hello my son lives in a room at the moment where deliveries go missing.
Would it be ok if he has his online goods, shopping..... delivered to my address for him to pick up. we're talking about less than £100, or would Uc consider it as gifting me and deprivation of capital? He has capital of about £8000.

Comments

• Hello my son lives in a room at the moment where deliveries go missing.
    Would it be ok if he has his online goods, shopping..... delivered to my address for him to pick up. we're talking about less than £100, or would Uc consider it as gifting me and deprivation of capital? He has capital of about £8000.
    Doesn't matter where the items are delivered, it only matters what he's spending savings on - but if he's buying out of his income and not reducing savings then it's completely irrelevant, a total non-issue :)
  • Thank you for your answer. but if he's spending £100 his capital will go down to £7900 from 8k, isn't that reducing capital?
    oh another question he hasn't got an amazon account I have, so for convenience he would like to purchase an item using his card on my account (amazon said this is perfectly fine) and it will be delivered to my address, Is this ok?
  • Thank you for your answer. but if he's spending £100 his capital will go down to £7900 from 8k, isn't that reducing capital?
    oh another question he hasn't got an amazon account I have, so for convenience he would like to purchase an item using his card on my account (amazon said this is perfectly fine) and it will be delivered to my address, Is this ok?

His bank statements won't show the name on the Amazon account, or the delivery address for that matter, just that he'd purchased on his card.
    Me and the bf do this all the time, as he has prime, but uses my card for the things I want.

I usually get stuff delivered to my work address, so I know someone is always in. I don't see how this would be different to him getting things delivered to your home. His reciepts will still show he bought it.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £126.70 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,293
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 8:00PM
    He can have his own Amazon account and still have things delivered to you. It seems an unnecessarily complication for everything to be going through your account particularly if something goes astray. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

If he is spending out of his savings then yes it is reducing capital, but Deprivation of Capital is about deliberately reducing your savings to increase entitlement to benefits.  He has to report changes to his savings when they cross a £250 threshold - so in this example, spending £100 is still irrelevant, he would only report a change once it went down to £7750.  I don't think he should need to worry unless he is lavishly spending lots of money on totally unreasonable and unnecessary items that add no value to his life.  [I would imagine also that things like Christmas presents, whilst not strictly necessary for survival, aren't an unreasonable expense unless someone is spending very large amounts for over-the-top presents.]

Using your account is fine, it's still his money for items he's buying.
  • raphael ty  I'm just worried how Uc will see it if he uses my amazon account. For eg If he had a review would they ask for his amazon account? and then see he hasn't got one.
  • raphael ty  I'm just worried how Uc will see it if he uses my amazon account. For eg If he had a review would they ask for his amazon account? and then see he hasn't got one.
    No they won't.  It's irrelevant, if they do ask where the money's gone all they want to know is what he spent it on.  Doesn't matter whose account he used, as he'll have used his own money from his own bank account using his own card and he can show the receipts for the items.
  • Thank you all, your all STARS  :0
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,642
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He doesn't ned to use your Amazon account. He can use his own and just have a delivery address set up which is yours, keeping his own billing address and payment methods. Amazon supports this capability.
  • exactly what 400ixl wrote. 
    I do this. Infrequently, but at least once a year. It’s simple. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback