Octopus Home Mini - IHD, which would be more accurate?

At the moment, my HM is showing 2445 w live use and my IHD 2641 w (Washer and dryer on at the moment). 

Which which of the two are more accurate?

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,022
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 6:46PM
    I've noticed slight discrepancies with mine, too. Can't decide which is correct.

Going on brain-power, I'd guess the HM, in conjunction with the phone, processes the data faster.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,853
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 6:57PM
    I've noticed slight discrepancies with mine, too. Can't decide which is correct.

Going on brain-power, I'd guess the HM, in conjunction with the phone, processes the data faster.
    I would doubt your brain power, the HM has to go via a router, although I am still waiting for mine so my brain power is probably way off. Plus it depends how fast each refreshes with the meter .
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Can you check via the smart meter itself? Mine gives an instantaneous use readout if you navigate to the right menu. Being the actual meter reading rather than something connecting to the meter presumably means it’s as accurate and as close to a real time information as you’re going to get.
    Moo…
  • Also the fridge could be kicking in, a light bulb maybe, the pc who knows it’s only a snapshot anyway see if both show the same answer at the end of the days usage, dunno just bored and my brain now hurts 😂
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • cm4ever
    cm4ever Posts: 215
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    By my reckoning, the IHD refreshes approximately every 6s, the Home Mini definitely much longer - so the IHD has the ability to show finer fluctuations in energy demand.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,137
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 7:25PM
    I thought the HM would be more instantaneous than the IHD but that's not proving to be true. 
    (Which is slightly frustrating as I wanted to make use of that imagined function, but alas.)

[I'm still glad we have it, though, seeing such granular data as every minute for the past 30mins and having the day's half-hourly usage instantly is much more useful than having to wait until sometime the next day.  And of course being able to see the near-instantaneous power draw from anywhere, rather than needing to physically be close to the IHD to read it, is much more useful.]

[Oh and the updated tariff every day for Tracker is extremely helpful!]
  • HM refreshes every 10 seconds, I think? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,124
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 8:07PM
    Can you check via the smart meter itself? Mine gives an instantaneous use readout if you navigate to the right menu. Being the actual meter reading rather than something connecting to the meter presumably means it’s as accurate and as close to a real time information as you’re going to get.

Thank you for that.  Got cold and wet for about 10 minutes (meter's outside) and I found this option.  It ties in with my current usage.

• Thank you for that.  Got cold and wet for about 10 minutes (meter's outside) and I found this option.  It ties in with my current usage.

Did you figure out if the HM or the IHD was more accurate? 

HM refreshes every 10 seconds, I think? 
    I believe the HM refreshes every minute where as the IHD refreshes every 10 seconds.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,531
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At the moment, my HM is showing 2445 w live use and my IHD 2641 w (Washer and dryer on at the moment). 

Which which of the two are more accurate?

Both should be accurate, just different delays.

So just monitor then for a while & see how they compare.

So if HM has a longer delay it should rise to 2461 in time.
    Or while usage is low & they are reading the same, switch some heavy use on & see with rises 1st.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure