🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Washing up in cold water to save money

Options

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Warm water on my hands when I'm doing the dishes is wonderful (IMO) - like a mini version of a hot shower after a long day :) 

Agreed that if you have electric hot water heating then the cheapest option is to boil a kettle. Then you can make yourself a hot drink for afterwards as well! 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I can understand wanting to save money but just using cold water is just over the top! The savings would be minimal. There have been some sensible suggestions here. At least warm water makes the chore less awful! Over time a dishwasher can actually be very economical and very time saving.
  • Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's the action of scrubbing that removes most bacteria not water temperature but I would treat myself to some warm water for comfort! 
  • ElaniArtin
    Options
    I drink a lot of tea and I usually wash a dish or two with every cup from some extra water boiled in the kettle... but I don't have a large family! Also, for utensils, collect them throughout the day in a carafe of soapy water till they get washed.
    Catcha wave and you're sittin on topofa world
  • Postik
    Postik Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I did this for a while when I had a combi boiler. I know some people look down on it but for a cup of tea, breakfast bowl or a plate with some crumbs on it's absolutely fine.

If I had a big greasy curry or something significantly sticky then I'd use some hot water.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    In the old days when people properly didn't waste money my grandmother would always stack the pots and pans in the sink to soak in cold water for an hour or so.
    I hated getting them, draining them before washing but it did the job. Think it was a kettle on the gas hob for warm water as we maade a cup of tea.

And yes, when younger I always wore rubber gloves. Now so many wrinkles it's the least of my worries  :)
    But a pound for 2 pairs where you buy things for a pound.
    You still feel the cold but tolerable

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2023 at 3:18PM
    Options
    I wasn't aware of this thread, but wondered the same thing myself. I found this article which claims that research shows that washing in cold water is effective - it's the scrubbing that is important. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/z5qt6WPFvQRcmQfrW62jV5/whats-the-best-way-to-clean-your-dishes

I'm thinking about dishwashing as while the house I'm buying is overall very suitable for us, I would say that the biggest minus point is not having a big sink and draining board. It's got a little sink and an integrated dishwasher. I'm thinking about the dishwasher. I suppose I will use it but philosophically I don't like the idea of using energy for things that I used to do by hand. I'm thinking about how I will wash dishes in the space. Due to the location of the small sink and the integrated dishwasher, it's going to be quite a big job to install a standard sink/draining board.  I was wondering about washing certain types of dishes (e.g. just plates, glasses, and cutlery) quickly as they become dirty and then air-drying. Using cold water would mean that I'm not firing up the boiler and filling the pipes full of hot water several times a day. Anything proper dirty would get done in the dishwasher.

I'm going to give it a go, and also boil a kettle. I have a gas boiler here so the kettle won't save money probably. But, I'll experiment. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Went to put the washing up away this morning, and found the frying pan that the lodger had used last night covered in a greasy film. She insists on washing in cold water <grrrr>. Washed it myself again in hot water this morning, and it is now clean.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Went to put the washing up away this morning, and found the frying pan that the lodger had used last night covered in a greasy film. She insists on washing in cold water <grrrr>. Washed it myself again in hot water this morning, and it is now clean.
    I just washed a few plates, glasses, and cutlery in cold water. I'll see what they are like when they are dry. None of them were greasy like a frypan would be. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure