Washing up in cold water to save money

Options
Cost a fortune to heat my water, but this time of year the cold water is freezing.  Anyone use gloves or something to keep their hands warm while washing up and rinsing in cold water?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How much washing up do you have ? We don't have much and just heat a bit of water in the kettle rather than run the hot tap to wash, and then rinse in cold water.
    I've never costed it but I imagine the price is negligible in the grand scheme of things - and cheaper than buying gloves!
  • mortgageFTB
    Options
    Gross. This has to be a wind up thread.
  • starving_artist
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    When washing up, I boil a kettle of water - You need really hot water to kill germs (very important if you have been handling raw meats), and it helps to lift grease & oil off.

I agree it will help dissolve fats although a good quality detergent like Fairy is pretty good at that but it would surely have to be scalding hot to have an impact on bacteria.  Warm water is more comfortable for the hands though.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I generally wash up with cold water unless it's something greasy, which isn't very often.  To be honest, I don't often bother with washing up liquid.

A pair of marigolds if you're determined to use such cold water.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Soap is the crucial bit in washing up to me.  You CAN wash dishes in water, hot or cold, without but that takes a lot of work.  Soaking helps loosen the dirt and then a thorough scrub and rinsing removes it.  Frankly you can even clean dishes without soap or water  - rubbing with sand works although it will likely ruin the finish on china as well as many pots, pans and ceramics.  

Soap, as I understand it, forms a colloid with the fats (the biggest issue in washing up) which means they basically "dissolve" in the water making them easier to remove from surfaces.  Hot water (or even warm) loosens the fats so the colloids form more easily achieving a better cleaning result.

I've never seen thermal waterproof gloves for washing up in cold water though presumably they exist somewhere.  If you want to limit energy use then put the plug in and fill the sink partly with the cold tap and top with some out of the kettle.  The room temperature water should be good enough to keep your hands from getting too too cold.  You could of course go one step further and leave a jug of water on a handy radiator to warm up ready for doing the dishes.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends on what you're washing.  If there's no meat or dairy, you can pretty much clean everything with a cold damp cloth.

If you're cleaning a baking tray after cooking sausages, warm water and soap are essential.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be worrying about an accumulation of fats off your pots blocking up your drains if you're not using washing up liquid which breaks them down.

I read a Citizens Advice article recently that said an average kettle costs 3p for 2 minutes, so you're not exactly saving much washing in cold water.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brie said: If you want to limit energy use then put the plug in and fill the sink partly with the cold tap and top with some out of the kettle.
    better to use a bowl - Less water used, and it won't soak up the heat like a steel sink would.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback