🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Latest House issue; boiler replacement/Ohms from plugs sockets issues!

Options
13»

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ThisIsWeird said: Worth keeping the annual services going in order to maintain the warranty. Any idea how many years warranty is could have?
    Worcester Bosch Greenstar will be a 10 year warranty, so well worth keeping up with the annual service. Far from convinced that the £7.99 per month plan is value for money - Can get a combi serviced for around £60 in these parts.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    ThisIsWeird said: Worth keeping the annual services going in order to maintain the warranty. Any idea how many years warranty is could have?
    Worcester Bosch Greenstar will be a 10 year warranty, so well worth keeping up with the annual service. Far from convinced that the £7.99 per month plan is value for money - Can get a combi serviced for around £60 in these parts.

Agree you might find cheaper ( depends on area), but if you are time poor they take on checking the schedule and notifiying customer.
    My thinking was they did the instal and all the paperwork around the warranty so in future if there are any issues under warranty picked up during servicing, that the servicer, instal and warranty are all in the same loop.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,670 Forumite
    Options
    FreeBear said:

My last service in the South East cost £96.
    It is a Bosch Greenstar system boiler, fitted in 2015 and it came with a 5 year warranty, as long as you serviced it each of the first four years. We had to get them out once and nobody checked, although it was only a minor issue. They responded very quickly and efficiently to give credit where credit is due.
    Due to the cost I have extended the service period to more like 18 months. I do the same with cars once they are out of warranty.
  • NorthernKitty
    Options
    Thanks all, I have taken comments on board. My Homeserve thing kicked in (had to wait a month before I could claim- but £3.50 a month for a year and £30 call out charge) so got an electrician out, and he has managed to get the readings down, something to do with years of damp, sheathing earth wires more and a ring and the end of the world and something that he did to the wiring in the cellar. But sounds like the tripswitch will work properly and nobody is likely to be electrocuted. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,117 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2023 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Ah, the ring and the end of the world? :smile:
    It is not uncommon for CUs with a single RCD to have 'nuisance tripping'. In essence, lots of different circuits have a teeny tiny bit of leakage each, and - whilst each is actually 'ok' and within expected - they add up to an overall amount that can get close to the ~30mA RCD tripping figure. So your RCD can be on the verge of tripping for much of the time, and can be pushed over by a tiny fluctuation, even a mains voltage spike. 
    Wall sockets on cold external walls can be culprits. I had an RCD trip a few months back when our air fryer was backed too closely on to the socket it was powered from - the socket was covered in cond from the AF's vent :neutral:
    No real risk, but darned annoying.
    Cool, pleased it's resolved.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family