🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Latest House issue; boiler replacement/Ohms from plugs sockets issues!

Options

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    also with those valve things to turn down individual radiators which 3 don't have at present.

Just so you know the lingo they are called TRV's ( Thermostatic Radiator Valves) .

You can use them just to have the radiator on full, or off. However the general idea is to set them somewhere in the middle, and they will turn down/off the flow to the radiator when a certain room temperature has been reached. Their position and the radiator position affect exactly how they work, so a bit of trial and error is needed to begin with.

One radiator should not have a TRV / be full on all the time the boiler is running. Normally this is the radiator in the room where the room thermostat is.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2023 at 9:37AM
    Options
    How are you getting on, Kitty? Any more visits and quotes?
    Re the dripping pipe, I wouldn't bother mentioning that at visiting time - it'll just be a distraction (that some might even try and exploit). Just give yourself a reminder to mention it when the 'chosen one' arrives for the installation - it should be a trivial matter for the plumber to sort, and they should be 'happy' to do so.
    The electrical issue should have been sorted when your oven failed to work! Why didn't you call these guys back? Of course, the current strange reading might have nothing to do with the new oven wiring, but if you have new appliances and wiring that trips the breaker (either RCD or MCB), coupled with 'strange' readings that no-one on here understands (lack of detail), then you need a sparky pdq
    I wouldn't wait for the new boiler installer before mentioning the electrical issue, because almost certainly they won't be informed or qualified enough to sort it, so it could then become an 'emergency' call-out as it would need sorting immediately. Better, I think, is to get a local recommended sparky out now, and tell them of the two issues - the tripping oven/hob, and the weird reading.
    If it turns out the oven sparky was incompetent, then you sue them for the local guy's repair bill.
    But, get the wiring sorted now, would be my advice.
    What type of boiler do you have? Do you have a hot cylinder? If so, it's likely a 'heat-only' or 'system' type, so provided the flue exit is straight forward, this should be a one-day job, and quite likely around the £2k mark. (A friend had a new Ideal H-O boiler fitted around 3 years ago - £1.7k).
    With visual impairment, would a Smart room stat be a good idea - control it from your phone or laptop - whatever you are using for MSE?!

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 November 2023 at 8:54AM
    Options
    Based on what was said it sounds like some sockets failed their earth loop impedance test above 200ohm. Needs fixing could be as simple a loose connection but needs an electrician with the relevant test equipment.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On the subject of ohms, I have heard of gas fitters getting confused by a TT earthing system, and assuming that there's an electrical fault when it's totally normal.  But unless you know what a TT earth is, you'd have to get an electrician to check and tell you.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • NorthernKitty
    Options
    Thanks all, I managed to get a boiler fitted. On Wednesday. And Thursday. Boiler engineer's van got puncture when trying to move it to back of my house, long story short as he couldn't get the parts he needed as couldn't get his spare tyre unlocked from under his new van as whoever sold it to him a few days previously didn't give the key, he could only do half the job, and I had to give him my spare key and he finished it yesterday morning. So came home after my shift to warm house, and had an hour-and-a-half long bath to celebrate. Still got the kitchen to clean up as masonry dust over every surface imaginable, but it was half the price of British Gas via BOXT. And have the TRVs on the bedroom, kitchen and hallway radiators and have the power to control the temp, a revolution! (Not had that power for years in previous houses!). 

Have an electrician coming out soon to check socket electrics. And by default the cooker. 
    (I didn't call back the AO people that fitted the elec hob as 1) it was several days later before I switched on the oven and 2) I have no idea if the oven worked originally, the oven was filthy inside when I moved in and blackened charred stuff inside took days to try and get out, still got to tackle the shelves and putting it off daily, so had to clean that out before trying as thought it might be fire hazard, 3) hecticly busy with life and work and struggling to get time off at the moment so other things have had priority).

Thanks all for suggestions and advice, it is really appreciated when I have nobody to ask these sort of questions! 

(Tune in next week for my next house disaster which I am sure will happen soon..)
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered taking out the service option with them, they will arrange yearly service which is good practice and will keep up your warranty, only £7.99 pm.
    It is a easy thing to forget and then your warranty may lapse.

Agree modern controls greatly add to comfort.
  • Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    I can just imagine a lovely warm bath felt like bliss! I don't know who is responsible in you case, but make sure it's registered with the manufacturer for its warranty. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    edited 17 November 2023 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Great news, Kitty!
    Sooo good to hear a lovely outcome :-)

(The company that carried out the install, were they local?)
  • NorthernKitty
    Options
    Yes,  local guy as he had to do the school run after visiting my house so didn't have to travel far. Will look into the service option business on my day off, thanks. 
    I didn't have baths in my old rented house for 5 years as it took a full bath of water until the water started becoming hot enough for a bath, so was stuck with showers. Will never take baths for granted again! 
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    Pleased it's a local fellow.
    Worth keeping the annual services going in order to maintain the warranty. Any idea how many years warranty is could have?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure