Dimplex and British Gas create new tariff for Dimplex Quantum Storage heaters

Options
Noticed this yesterday - Dimplex and BG have created a new tariff for owners of Dimplex Quantum storage heaters.  BG manage the charging times of the storage heaters via the Dimplex Hub.  Looks like they are aggregating Quantum useage into a demand side balancing mechanism /auction via software developed by BG.

Offers 7hrs of off-peak electricity at 9.9p/kWh.  Centrica confirms in their press release the off peak period applies to the whole household useage so using washing machines/tumble dryers/EV charging would be charged at the off-peak rate.  Daytime rate is at the standard variable rate (not sure what BG’s rate is, so could be expensive).

Tariff is only available to households with Dimplex Quantum storage heaters, and needs a Dimplex Hub.  All of the storage heaters would therefore need to be the ‘RF’ variant in order to work.  Needs to have a current E7 meter and agree to BG fitting a smart meter within 30 days (presumably they could use an existing SMETS2 smart meter if one is already there).  Not available to pre-payment/PAYG customers, needs to be billed monthly.

Dimplex press release:  https://www.dimplex.co.uk/british-gas-dimplex-quantum-tariff
Centrica press release:  https://www.centrica.com/media-centre/news/2023/british-gas-launches-dimplex-quantum-tariff-the-smart-tariff-that-decarbonises-your-home/

British Gas info & sign-up/register site:  https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/gas-and-electricity/dimplex-quantum-tariff.html

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 November 2023 at 2:44AM
    Options
    That sounds amazing, especially with the day rate not being more expensive! 

But I'm a little surprised that it's British Gas offering it, unless they've sorted out their smart meter Economy 7 problems?

Edited - typo
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the details on pricing.

Had seen a generic press release but no real detail.

Been a long time since the last attempt e.g. Ovo and EDF trials - c2019/20.
  • TheElectricCow
    Options
    That’s a very competitive tariff, it certainly rivals some of the Octo offerings at the moment. Anyone with Quantums currently on SVT/E7 should definitely give it a look, I’d personally be jumping on it if in a position to do so.

In fact with an off-peak of 9.9p that’s at least comparable to gas heating prices and possibly even beats gas in some regions when accounting for efficiency loss. If the on-peak really is SVT too then there’s not much to lose either by the sound of it.

My only reservation would be that it’s being offered by BG, who have a bit of a reputation around here for  struggling with E7 smart meters. The potential billing issues may not be worth it for some unless they’ve finally got over their problems.
    Moo…
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My only reservation would be that it’s being offered by BG, who have a bit of a reputation around here for  struggling with E7 smart meters. The potential billing issues may not be worth it for some unless they’ve finally got over their problems.
    Good point. That is kind of funny. Only the people at BG could have thought that one up.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'm entirely unconvinced that given BG's history in this area, even prices like that could persuade me to commit to that tariff! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Grizzlebeard
    Grizzlebeard Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 1:14PM
    Options
    Checked the link and the most important question wasn't immediately answered. I didn't bother trying to search for it.
    Is the tariff varible or fixed, and if so for how long and exit fees..
    Afraid I have little faith in the transparency at british Gas.

p.s. Checked BG link again for T&C link and amazingly(not) there's zero T&C info for this Tariff.
    Seems as if you go through the sign-up loop before they will tell you anything. I recall same brick wall when was transfered to them from RobinHood.
  • TheElectricCow
    Options
    Checked the link and the most important question wasn't immediately answered. I didn't bother trying to search for it.
    Is the tariff varible or fixed, and if so for how long and exit fees..
    Afraid I have little faith in the transparency at british Gas.

p.s. Checked BG link again for T&C link and amazingly(not) there's zero T&C info for this Tariff.
    Seems as if you go through the sign-up loop before they will tell you anything. I recall same brick wall when was transfered to them from RobinHood.
    Dimplex state “Rates are fixed for at least 12 months once you’ve signed up” which is vague enough in itself, but at least confirms it is some kind of fixed tariff lasting some indeterminate period of time longer than a year.

BG aren’t especially forthcoming about what the fixed rates actually are, nor could I even get a regular E7 SVT rate without a quote. And they will not provide a quote online without your address and matching meter numbers, so at that point I didn’t bother investigating further (don’t have Quantums myself anyway so was only looking out of curiosity).
    Moo…
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Day rate matches my non-smart meter octopus tariff. Night is a third cheaper 9.99 Vs 15.5
    Standing charge is high. 67p per day versus 55p. I currently have 2 MPANs so pay it twice
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Grizzlebeard
    Grizzlebeard Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Thanx ElectricCow and QrizB. Likewise curiosity. I'm not personally interested either.
    You'd think a Web page dedicated to selling a specific tariff it whould show all important relevant information or clearly marked dedicated links to it.
    Many vulnerable, inexperienced or gullible people don't even realise what questions they ought to be asking.
    Personally I think such "transparency" should be written into the regulations to stop "wool over the eyes" shady marketing. Perhaps it is but BG just have a convenient if very loose interpretation.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback