land line phones not holding a charge

2»

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They didn't really last ten years though.  One set stopped working years back and another has gradually deteriorated.

Also, For safety reasons it's best to replace Nimh batteries every two or three years. Certainly  if they stop working and you keep charging them there is a risk of fire  
  • If you have an accessible IKEA their AA/AAA rechargeable batteries at £5 for 4 are cheap and score OK on the review sites.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    PHK said:
    They didn't really last ten years though.  One set stopped working years back and another has gradually deteriorated.

Also, For safety reasons it's best to replace Nimh batteries every two or three years. Certainly  if they stop working and you keep charging them there is a risk of fire  
    No both were working just fine until a week ago.  It was the secondary base unit that stopped working - likely due to something my MiL did with it (dropped it or something).

And if the batteries stop working how could one keep charging them.  I mean - they've stopped holding a charge now so I'll stop using them and stop charging them pending getting new batteries.  It'll need to be a Currys or B&Q or similar as the nearest Ikea is 30 miles away and one of my least favourite places to visit in any case.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,568 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Brie said:
    PHK said:

No both were working just fine until a week ago.  It was the secondary base unit that stopped working - likely due to something my MiL did with it (dropped it or something).

And if the batteries stop working how could one keep charging them.  I mean - they've stopped holding a charge now so I'll stop using them and stop charging them pending getting new batteries.  It'll need to be a Currys or B&Q or similar as the nearest Ikea is 30 miles away and one of my least favourite places to visit in any case.

We have two handsfree phones and just use the main base for charging them. Lost the second base years ago through never using it. Each handset takes two AA rechargeables and I replace them every 2 or 3 years. We don't leave a handset on the base, but just put one on (overnight usually) when it needs charging. They rarely both need charging at the same time.
    Rechargeable batteries don't last forever, they can only take a finite number of charging/discharging cycles before they become useless. Yours are almost certainly end of life - they only lasted this long because you kept the handsets on the base(s) regularly, meaning they only needed to hold a very small amount of charge to power the handset for the duration of a few calls.

B&Q do sell rechargeable batteries - 4 Varta AA ones are currently £9, so not too expensive if that's the size you need.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have you not tried taking the battery cover off to see what sort of batteries are in there. Usually but not always AAA size, but really old phones may have AA.

It really isn't ever so difficult to have a look and buy some more of the correct size
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    400ixl said:
    Don't they just use AAA rechargeable batteries?

Yes but even rechargeable batteries die eventually and need to be replaced.

• a lot of dect  cordless phones for domestic use   just use  NiMH AAA batteries - if you can pop the bakc off the handsets you;ll be able to see  ,  at 10 years old it's likely the batteries are  degrded  even if the  charging bases are still working fine 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback