land line phones not holding a charge

Brie
Brie Posts: 9,211
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
Hey

We've got a landline phone that has 2 handsets.  Might have had this for about 10 years perhaps?

Anyways - it's always worked fairly well.  One handset lives in the phone base proper and the other is a secondary base that is in another room.  Both ring when someone calls.  

A few years back the secondary base stopped charging the handset.  Not too big a problem as they have held a charge for a very long time (a week++?) so we've just swapped them occasionally as required. 

But now they are not charging properly in the main base.  One handset won't charge at all and the other shows "no battery" but charges enough for 1 short call.  

So question 1 - if someone calls us will they get a busy signal or will the call go to voicemail so we would at least know that someone called?  

Question 2 - being MSE (ish) how do I fix this?  Can one get new batteries for land line phone handsets?  Because of the age of the device I can't find an online guide - it's a BT Essential Twin.  I know a replacement phone would only cost maybe £50 but I'd rather only pay £5 for new batteries if that is all that is required. 
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
«1

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,498
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Brie said:
    Hey

    We've got a landline phone that has 2 handsets.  Might have had this for about 10 years perhaps?

    Anyways - it's always worked fairly well.  One handset lives in the phone base proper and the other is a secondary base that is in another room.  Both ring when someone calls.  

    A few years back the secondary base stopped charging the handset.  Not too big a problem as they have held a charge for a very long time (a week++?) so we've just swapped them occasionally as required. 

    But now they are not charging properly in the main base.  One handset won't charge at all and the other shows "no battery" but charges enough for 1 short call.  

    So question 1 - if someone calls us will they get a busy signal or will the call go to voicemail so we would at least know that someone called?  

    Question 2 - being MSE (ish) how do I fix this?  Can one get new batteries for land line phone handsets?  Because of the age of the device I can't find an online guide - it's a BT Essential Twin.  I know a replacement phone would only cost maybe £50 but I'd rather only pay £5 for new batteries if that is all that is required. 

    1. Someone calling will get a normal outgoing ring sound then the answering machine or voicemail if it is set to answer after so many rings.

    2. See what batteries are in the handsets - quite possibly something like AA or AAA rechargeables. You can then buy rechargeable batteries to replace them with.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 718
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can you remove the batteries  - looking on E-bay about £5 for a new set:

    4 x Rechargeable NiMH 900mAh AAA Cordless Phone Battery for BT Essential Phone £4.99 each




  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,595
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't they just use AAA rechargeable batteries?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,211
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks all - I'll look for the rechargeable batteries when I'm next at the shops.  No point in buying new - cheaper this way and we wouldn't have to learn how to operate the new phone!!!  (took me 7 years to realise I could use this one hands free!!!)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,668
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You'll find them cheaper even on Amazon than in the shops 
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,488
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can you use them as intercoms too?  I wish I had tried replacing my rechargables before I replaced my phones.  But I have 5.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,211
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lorian said:
    You'll find them cheaper even on Amazon than in the shops 
    even if I have to pay for delivery?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,803
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Lorian said:
    You'll find them cheaper even on Amazon than in the shops 
    even if I have to pay for delivery?

    If you have Prime you don't pay any delivery charges.
    Otherwise spend more than £25 you get free delivery (or £10 worth of books).
    Batteries are one of these items that it's worth buying in bulk for, as they're usually good for three years.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,211
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Lorian said:
    You'll find them cheaper even on Amazon than in the shops 
    even if I have to pay for delivery?

    If you have Prime you don't pay any delivery charges.
    Otherwise spend more than £25 you get free delivery (or £10 worth of books).
    Batteries are one of these items that it's worth buying in bulk for, as they're usually good for three years.
    Yes but no but.....having lasted nearly 10 years I don't really want to buy more than I need as I'm likely to lose them or they will go past their best (supposedly batteries do....)  I've no need of Prime until I've got an emergency present I need to buy....so maybe if it was closer to Christmas I'd set this up but otherwise not.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards