Lost passport! Travel on non-UK one?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    la531983 said:
    Must be nice to be eligible for three passports, especially if one of those is an EU one.
    Can you do that ? 
    As I understand things - if you go for an Irish passport then that involves taking citizenship of the Republic of Ireland firstly before applying for their passport.
    Presumably that would entail surrendering UK nationality and passport rights ?

No, both UK and Ireland recognise and allow dual/multi nationals and so don't need to give up one to have the other and visa versa 

Currently have 3 nationalities and passports from each... at one point even had 2 British passports as one of the very few countries in the world that will issue more than one. 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2023 at 5:38PM
    eskbanker said:
    la531983 said:
    Must be nice to be eligible for three passports, especially if one of those is an EU one.
    Can you do that ? 
    As I understand things - if you go for an Irish passport then that involves taking citizenship of the Republic of Ireland firstly before applying for their passport.
    Unless I'm misinterpreting OP's username, they're in Northern Ireland, which grants different rights from the rest of the UK:
    If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.
    https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of the "island of Ireland" aspect.
    I'm eligible to apply for an RoI passport as my paternal grandmother was from Co.Meath before partition - however hardly worth it at my age.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    eskbanker said:
    la531983 said:
    Can you do that ? 
    Unless I'm misinterpreting OP's username, they're in Northern Ireland, which grants different rights from the rest of the UK:
    If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.
    I'm eligible to apply for an RoI passport as my paternal grandmother was from Co.Meath before partition - however hardly worth it at my age.

Unless you have kids or grand kids who may be entitled in the future by the fact that you held one.

I could have got a European passport if only my grandmother had kept one when she first came to the UK as a baby. Now I’m told she would need to apply first, only problem is she passed away 20+ years ago - she would be over 110 if she were alive now.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    DullGreyGuy said:
    No, both UK and Ireland recognise and allow dual/multi nationals and so don't need to give up one to have the other and visa versa 
    Is that a passport-related equivalent of 'vice versa'? ;)
    its the pun equivalent  B)
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 9 November 2023 at 6:16PM
    silvercar said:
    eskbanker said:
    la531983 said:
    Can you do that ? 

Unless you have kids or grand kids who may be entitled in the future by the fact that you held one.

I could have got a European passport if only my grandmother had kept one when she first came to the UK as a baby. Now I’m told she would need to apply first, only problem is she passed away 20+ years ago - she would be over 110 if she were alive now.
    They are not entitled - eligibility is limited to the grandchildren of the person who was born in Ireland pre partition, so it ends with me.
    I don't think your grandmother's lack of a passport is relevant to the eligibility criteria - as I understand things, it applies to children and grandchildren of anybody born in the 32 counties of Ireland before 1922.
    AFAIK, as long as you can provide the supporting paperwork you should be good.
    Obviously that starts with a birth certificate - the Irish government has a very good official website for tracing such details, 1913 should  be available.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    silvercar said:
    eskbanker said:
    la531983 said:
    Can you do that ? 

They are not entitled - eligibility is limited to the grandchildren of the person who was born in Ireland pre partition, so it ends with me.
    I don't think your grandmother's lack of a passport is relevant to the eligibility criteria - as I understand things, it applies to children and grandchildren of anybody born in the 32 counties of Ireland before 1922.
    AFAIK, as long as you can provide the supporting paperwork you should be good.
    Obviously that starts with a birth certificate - the Irish government has a very good official website for tracing such details, 1913 should  be available.

The country concerned isn't Ireland.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    la531983 said:
    Can you do that ? 

Both Ireland and UK allow dual nationality so there is no requirement to renounce any nationality 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 10 November 2023 at 12:05PM
    "The country concerned isn't Ireland."
    I assumed it was - since the discussion was along those lines.
  • As noted, I am from N Ireland so myself and my children are entitled to hold both British and Irish passports. I just ordered my long form birth certificate as it was needed for her application. It came on Friday (the day we moved house!) and I put it somewhere. So hoping I can find it! 
    I'm excited to see it as I have only ever had the wee short form one and thought that was all there was!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback