Lost passport! Travel on non-UK one?

Comments

• Thank you. She is going to go to the passport office this morning as soon as they open to see if she can get anywhere. Nothing to lose.  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you look at the same day service (https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service) you cannot use it if you have lost your current/old passport.

You cannot be denied entry to the UK if you are a British Citizen however you've got to be able to get to the border for that to be true and airlines won't check you in/allow you to board unless they are confident you have the right to enter your destination. 

In theory should could fly out on her secondary passport and whilst in Morocco apply for an emergency travel document but that's verging on an abuse of process and unlikely to win her many friends and require her to go to the embassy in Rabat or consulate in Marrakech
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,923 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2023 at 11:23AM

In theory should could fly out on her secondary passport and whilst in Morocco apply for an emergency travel document but that's verging on an abuse of process and unlikely to win her many friends and require her to go to the embassy in Rabat or consulate in Marrakech
    That would work, though it would be inconvenient and take time. Travel out on the Algerian passport, while in  Morocco discover that she’s left her UK passport behind and contact the UK embassy in Morocco for emergency travel documents to travel back to the UK
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DullGreyGuy
    silvercar said:

That would work, though it would be inconvenient and take time. Travel out on the Algerian passport, while in  Morocco discover that she’s left her UK passport behind and contact the UK embassy in Morocco for emergency travel documents to travel back to the UK
    The OP says she's now cancelled the original passport so the "I left it behind" story won't fly and it would need to be the "I've intentionally created this situation" story instead hence not being popular
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 November 2023 at 12:11PM
    Question.
    Once the young lady gets her UK passport renewed there is probably a case for her considering ditching the Algerian one as it appears problematic to rely on it in this type of scenario ?
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2023 at 12:41PM
    If you look at the same day service (https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service) you cannot use it if you have lost your current/old passport.

You cannot be denied entry to the UK if you are a British Citizen however you've got to be able to get to the border for that to be true and airlines won't check you in/allow you to board unless they are confident you have the right to enter your destination. 

Well getting a passport urgently isnt going to work as you need to take the old passport with you, and if you cant then by definition it is lost/stolen and therefore the service could not be used. 

The main stumbling block, as mentioned, is its highly unlikely that the airline will allow the traveller to check in/board coming back to the UK. The airlines are very jittery, rightly so, of allowing incorrectly documented travellers onboard as they get fined and they are liable for removal of those passenger at the airlines expense. 
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • DullGreyGuy
    Question.
    Once the young lady gets her UK passport renewed there is probably a case for her considering ditching the Algerian one as it appears problematic to rely on it in this type of scenario ?
    Why ditch it? They may not be able to use it to easily enter the UK but it enables them to go to Algeria without a visa that would be required on their British one, given they've probably got family there seems likely they'll visit at times. I don't know about Algeria specifically but there are some countries in the world where they allow dual nationality but require their citizens to travel in or out of the country on their own countries passport not their secondary... the Mrs can only leave her country on her local passport (but can enter on her British)

There are other countries that its more useful than a British one like Benin, Ghana, Iran, Mauritania and a few Middle Eastern countries that aren't exactly tourist hotspots but 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,923 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    silvercar said:

The OP says she's now cancelled the original passport so the "I left it behind" story won't fly and it would need to be the "I've intentionally created this situation" story instead hence not being popular
    Well another line then eg I thought I could travel home on an expired passport, but now realise I can’t. I agree it is all a bit difficult, frustrating as the daughter clearly has the right of entry to the UK.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    silvercar said:
    silvercar said:

Well another line then eg I thought I could travel home on an expired passport, but now realise I can’t. I agree it is all a bit difficult, frustrating as the daughter clearly has the right of entry to the UK.

You could, in theory, travel home on an expired british passport, assuming the airline would be willing to carry you, quite a few airlines T&C's state you need a relevant, extant, travel doc to use their service. 

Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Update: she gave up in the end. Passport office first appt was in 2 days. She was beyond exhausted after 2 days with no sleep and night shift. I told her just to draw a line under it and go and sleep. Too much risk to go and be worrying that she wouldn't be allowed to board in either direction. 

It just wasn't meant to be. She just needs to come to terms with it, replace her passport (probably Irish one this time) and plan for the trip again. 

Thanks all for your help. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure