Lost passport! Travel on non-UK one?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,559 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NornIronRose said:

It just wasn't meant to be.
    Apparently so. Best to consider that the passport unavailability could well have protected her from some kind of misfortune that would have occurred during the trip, prevented by a 'guardian angel'...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Question.
    Once the young lady gets her UK passport renewed there is probably a case for her considering ditching the Algerian one as it appears problematic to rely on it in this type of scenario ?
    Why ditch it? They may not be able to use it to easily enter the UK but it enables them to go to Algeria without a visa that would be required on their British one, given they've probably got family there seems likely they'll visit at times. I don't know about Algeria specifically but there are some countries in the world where they allow dual nationality but require their citizens to travel in or out of the country on their own countries passport not their secondary... the Mrs can only leave her country on her local passport (but can enter on her British)

There are other countries that its more useful than a British one like Benin, Ghana, Iran, Mauritania and a few Middle Eastern countries that aren't exactly tourist hotspots but 

I was just wondering if it were worth the candle to retain a second passport in this situation.
    At £85 for a UK passport holder to obtain an Algerian visa - it's a no brainer.
    We visited Algiers city from a cruise ship a few years ago, the locals were very engaging - really keen to have tourists visit their country.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,933 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Question.
    Once the young lady gets her UK passport renewed there is probably a case for her considering ditching the Algerian one as it appears problematic to rely on it in this type of scenario ?
     Most country rules require you to enter the country on their own passport, if you archive ever had one and retained citizenship. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • She will definitely want to keep her Algerian passport. So much faff getting a visa otherwise, if she wants to visit Algeria. Will be applying for an Irish passport rather than another British one this time as it is easier because of Brexit. 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Must be nice to be eligible for three passports, especially if one of those is an EU one.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
     Will be applying for an Irish passport rather than another British one this time 
    Does that have to be an either / or?
    I understand the pro- of the Irish passport being an EU passport, but wouldn't it just make sense to hold all passports for which you are eligible?
  • Can do. She may get a British one again but an Irish one will suffice for now. Not sure there is much need for the expense of both. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,933 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Can do. She may get a British one again but an Irish one will suffice for now. Not sure there is much need for the expense of both. 
    The recommendation is that you enter the UK on your UK passport if eligible. https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-09-03/41847/
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • la531983 said:
    Must be nice to be eligible for three passports, especially if one of those is an EU one.
    Can you do that ? 
    As I understand things - if you go for an Irish passport then that involves taking citizenship of the Republic of Ireland firstly before applying for their passport.
    Presumably that would entail surrendering UK nationality and passport rights ?

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    la531983 said:
    Can you do that ? 
    As I understand things - if you go for an Irish passport then that involves taking citizenship of the Republic of Ireland firstly before applying for their passport.
    Presumably that would entail surrendering UK nationality and passport rights ?
    Unless I'm misinterpreting OP's username, they're in Northern Ireland, which grants different rights from the rest of the UK:
    If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.
    https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure