Problem with EBSS and E.on next

System
System Posts: 178,074
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Community Admin

Comments

• Hello can you help me please. I have 2 accounts with E.on Nxt. both domestic supply both have seperate meters and both have different account numbers. I pay the house on a Fixed DD and I pay the Annexe each month by debit card this account has never had a DD on it since 2019. On Feb 28th 2023 E.on nxt without telling me without my authorisation set up a Variable DD for the annexe but put it in the house account at my bank. I'd like to know if this is a legal action they did. When everyone got the £400 EBSS money last year I was only given £333 I didn't get the march payment. Then on June 23rd 2023 E.on nxt took the whole £333 back off me and would not explain why. I have been fighting for a reason ever since and now I'm coming to the end of an Ombudsman claim but I want to take E.on nxt to a small claims court for their actions. They also retained £120 of the Alternative Fuel payment given in Feb 2023. At this stage I just need an answer to the DD Question. I've wrote to my MP re the funding I'm awaiting a reply from her but the DD is the answer I need. Because they took the £333 back from me this made me have a huge bill of £350 whereas prior to their action I was £200 in credit. They then without my knowledge took £269 from that DD variable when I knew nothing about it and did not authorise them to do it. Can they do this? Thank you anyone for your help. Ive contacted The CAB and many other institutions but no one has the answer not even barclays who don't have a legal team only for fraud!!!! Help
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,940
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Are the house and the annexe part of the same 'household', i.e. same address, both accounts registered in your name, etc?  Regarding (lack of) notice of DD payments, did they state anything about this on the statements/bills?
  • They are both in the household. They are totally seperate dwellings i.e the annexe isn't attached to the house its about 8 meters away. It's the Same address but entirely seperate accounts seperate meters seperate account numbers. One is registered in my name, the annexe, the house is in my husbands name but with my name on it so I deal with it and this is the one the Fixed DD is paid on and that comes out from my bank account. They set this variable DD up on Feb 28th unknowing to me with a variable DD and it wasn't used until sept 15th when they withdrew £269. That notice was on my bill after it came out but I ignored it as it didn't have a DD on it. They constantly txt me each mth to inform me the DD is due on the house but I already know it is I don't need reminding so when an email came in saying your DD is due on ???? I thought it was the house DD they were talking about. I tend to use my statements rather than the bill as E.ON NXT during the ombudsman case stated this variable DD was set up in 2021 so I threw all my statements at them since 2019 which all state 'paid by card' i.e I pay by debit card. All their dates are wrong all their information is wrong and even the Ombudsman know its wrong too. I don't think it should matter if its on the bill some 7 mths after they set it up as it was set up unauthorised. When I got my money back from the bank they used words of 'Highly unusual' and 'Unorthodox' they said theyd never had a DD set up in one bank account then another set up for an entirely seperate account. They paid me back immediately once they heard the story but I just wish I could find out if the 'Action' of setting it up without my permission is legal or not. According to The Theft Act 1968 par 1 their action falls into this and in an email from E.ON I was told directly I would not get the money back. I did. I told the bank what theyd done. Dont know if this is any clearer for you. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,651
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What is the annexe used for?
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    They paid me back immediately once they heard the story but I just wish I could find out if the 'Action' of setting it up without my permission is legal or not. According to The Theft Act 1968 par 1 their action falls into this and in an email from E.ON I was told directly I would not get the money back. I did. I told the bank what theyd done. Dont know if this is any clearer for you. 
    It's perfectly plausible for Eon's actions to fall foul of the Direct Debit Guarantee, which is presumably why your bank refunded money taken, but that doesn't make them illegal.

It doesn't sound likely that it would constitute theft, unless you can prove that Eon's reversal of government incentives was to their benefit, rather than the money finding its way back to the government.

If you're now back to where you should be financially (by virtue of the bank's refund) then you have no loss to claim via court or anywhere else?
  • My mum stayed in it until she died. Now its empty at present only used for visitors.
  • Addressed to eskbanker above. E.ON Nxt took the £333 back of the £400 and have never explained why they did it since June 23rd hence I wrote to my MP to see if they could do this. Then sept I dealt with a guy at e.on who told me he could see I hadn't had the £400 EBSS and I laughed said it was the EBSS money that started this whole thing and by taking it back e.on created the large bill of £350 that I was on several occassions blamed for when I was £200 in credit. Theyve never explained why they did it or explained what right they had to retain £120 from my alternative fuel payment either when it was for my oil. I still don't have that back. So yes I got the EBSS money yes I got my bank to give me my money back but I don't think you realise that since feb 28th 2023 then it started again june 23rd that I've had to phone many many times. I got blamed I got verbally abused as I dealt with at least 10 different people on the phone and at least 6 different people in emails. Then I had to ring institutions for advice and support then eventually I went to Ombudsman. The day I got the huge bill of £350 I thought I was having a heart attack. I'm 65yr old and have COPD and High blood pressure both are made chronic when I'm stressed or anxious. My hubby ran me to the doctors where I sat with a sat machine on until my vitals settled down. This happened 2 more times after and a day in hospital on a nebuliser. I have 2 types of inhalers none of them would settle my breathing. I was offered £75 as a goodwill gesture which I think anyone on here would say their own life is worth more than £75. Is yours? Its that I'm taking to court and for the £120 and I feel if e.on can do this to a 65yr old then they have to STOP. They will kill us with the stress and worry of their actions. I don't believe that because they are so big a company they can't have a slapped leg for doing as they please especially like the 333 they took back and have never explained why for. They don't have free reign to do what they like when they like. But thank you for your comment back to me all advice I accept readily. x 
  • eskbanker
    Forumite
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Eon's actions and was just addressing the question of whether they were illegal.

They've obviously recognised that they've messed up if they're offering a goodwill gesture, which clearly isn't intended to correlate with the value of a life, but to me the right course of action is to follow due process with the ombudsman and your MP, on the main issue of Eon's reversal of government incentives to which you believe you were entitled.

Up to you if you feel that court action is warranted as well, but this would typically be to recover monetary losses rather than to 'slap their leg', so if you're driven by some sort of vengeance then I'd suggest that with your health issues you could probably do without the stress of suing them without any realistic prospect of success.
  • No hon I didn't think you were defending them. 
    No they haven't recognised they've messed up the ombudsman offered me that £75 e.on still think they've done nothing wrong by the emails I've had off them.
    I have totally followed the correct course with ombudsman its just I've told them throughout I wouldn't accept £75 and mentioned court. They are fully aware.
    You say I believe I was entitled to the gov EBSS funds. No I did not. I just received it like everyone did who had a domestic supply. The funds were from gov. They were not means tested. E.ON still wont explain why they did take it back hence the MP to tell me if they could or should have?
    Before retiring I was up to 15yr ago, a qualifeied Health and Safety Officer NEBOSH TECH IOSH. E.ON have a 'Duty of care' to customers their work affects. I'm classed as a vulnerable group. 65 a senior citizen. Vulnerable. They have neither displayed their duty of care to me nor have they displayed they've carried out a Risk Assessment either as I've had 8 months of hell trying to seek justice when it should have been resolved feb 28th day one. They caused it all and I suffered greatly so if they want to avoid breaking the HASAWA sec 2 and 3 then so be it. Thats the slap on the leg I meant. It is not vengence my friend it is Law. And my seeking justice will hopefully help anyone out that has been in or still is, in the boat. When companies get so big they think they are or have become above the law. But are they?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback