Emails from Barrett Smith & Brown on behalf of Together Energy

13»

Comments

• Everest88
    Everest88 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Thank you all, really helpful advice.

Will await (Michaels?!) letter by post but, as suggested, also check the final bill etc. Where applicable, if offering to pay for any energy outstanding (and not the additional charge), do I need to add any particular wording (without prejudice?) as a precaution? And should it be by return email or a recorded letter?
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,171 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Just wanted to highlight this news story, which came about as a direct result of this thread:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2024/03/michael-jackson-together-igloo-energy-debt/
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • suavegeezer
    suavegeezer Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March at 8:58AM
    I'm actually owed a load of money - I put it at around £1000 - from Together Energy, and had an Ombudsman decision saying so. However, I could never get it back from the company and it failed to action the Ombudsman's decision before it went into administration. I needed new meters, and trying to deal with Together Energy was a nightmare, so I ended up closing the account, getting new meters with a new supplier. When Together Energy went into administration, I followed what I thought was the advice on here -  that I didn't need to do anything as it'd be sorted out by the supplier of last resort (SOLR). The SOLR told me they couldn't help me as the Together Energy account had been closed. The administrators said they wouldn't help me and Barrett Smith Brown keep writing threatening letters claiming £3667.95 and failing to acknowledge my responses. I may be an unusual case, but also it may not be just those in debt to Together Energy that have problems, but the recovery of account overpayments that need to be sorted out here.

• mbcoventry
    mbcoventry Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    My son just won a very drawn out battle with debt collectors, ovo and the ombudsman over a ‘debt’ of around 3000 pounds which magically appeared a few months following his transfer from sse to ovo, despite the fact he had been paying huge amounts to sse every month and using very little energy in the short time he’d been in the house.  He noticed the problem when they wanted to increase his monthly payments to many hundreds of pounds a month.
     Four ombudsman cases later it was finally resolved last week that multiple account histories must have got mixed together during the transfer and ovo actually owed him money rather than him owing them 3000 pounds.  You couldn’t make it up.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback