Emails from Barrett Smith & Brown on behalf of Together Energy

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Back on the 21st of December you said they had replied to your prove it letter with a copy of your final bill, and that it showed £137 owing. You also said the dates on this bill matched the bill from your subsequent supplier.
    Do the meter readings also match, ie. the closing reading on your new final bill are the same as the opening readings on your first bill from your new supplier?
    If so, you might actually owe the money and might want to think about settling before it gets to court.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Everest88
    Everest88 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    QrizB said:
    Does it say something like "letter before action" or "letter before claim" on it?
    If not, I think you can still ignore it.
    And are they really using Michael Jackson's signature from Wikipedia?
    Cant see any "letter before action" or "letter before claim" written anywhere but yes, having checked doing a quick google, it does look like they used Michael Jacksons signature from Wikipedia - hadn't noticed when I copied it to forum (shows as a signature on the email and I am not that familiar with MJ's signature!)...

Main question is whether they can do this via email - have asked for written confirmation to my home address all the way through this but was previously told they are an online company only, so find it odd that they have now said they have send to my home address?

As per previous, if I do owe, and it is legitimate, will pay but struggling to establish whether or not legitimate - only have their emails in support?
  • QrizB
    Everest88 said:
    Main question is whether they can do this via email - have asked for written confirmation to my home address all the way through this but was previously told they are an online company only, so find it odd that they have now said they have send to my home address?
    If a copy arrives by post, then they obviously can send things that way!
    Everest88 said:
    As per previous, if I do owe, and it is legitimate, will pay but struggling to establish whether or not legitimate - only have their emails in support?
    You previously said that they had emailed you a final bill.
    You also said that the dates line up with your switch to your new supplier. The thing you haven't yet checked is whether the closing meter readings on your new final bill match up with the opening readings used by your new supplier.
    If they match, and if the value of the final bill matches up with (standing charge for X days) plus (unit cost for Y kilowatt-hours), I would say it looks like you owe it.
    If it doesn't match up, you need to ask them more questions.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Everest88 said: BSB have now responded (by email) as follows:
    "We are a paperless company so we can only email."
    Everest88 said:
    Further to previous, have now received the following from BSB (addressed to me at my home address) via email:

NB: for the avoidance of doubt this communication has been sent to your registered email AND home address.  Please do not ignore this communication.

So on one hand, they say they are paperless, and then say a copy has been posted to you... And if the paper copy has this signature on it, I'm sure a judge would have something to say about it should it ever go to court.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Everest88
    Everest88 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    FreeBear said:
    Everest88 said:
    Further to previous, have now received the following from BSB (addressed to me at my home address) via email:

NB: for the avoidance of doubt this communication has been sent to your registered email AND home address.  Please do not ignore this communication.

So on one hand, they say they are paperless, and then say a copy has been posted to you... And if the paper copy has this signature on it, I'm sure a judge would have something to say about it should it ever go to court.
    no letter received, only the email but, that's what they have used... whether I owe or not, should they be doing that?... where does that leave me?
  • QrizB
    edited 2 February at 6:43PM
    Everest88 said:
    no letter received, only the email but, that's what they have used... whether I owe or not, should they be doing that?... where does that leave me?
    If they sent the email and the letter today, even with the best postie in the world you won't receive the letter until tomorrow. More likely early next week.
    If you think, based on the bills they have provided and your own records, that you owe the money - well, you should consider paying it.
    You could offer to pay the bill value, but not to pay their added-on fees.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Officer_Dibble Posts: 366 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The CJC doesn't just get issued to order does it? You get chance to respond to the application. Waiting until this stage (and bringing Michael Jackson's signature into proceedings for the amusement of the court) would seem to make sense. If the meter readings are provided and it looks like the money might be owed, as QrisB suggests, offer to pay for the energy used but not BSB's charges as you were never given chance to settle before it went into their hands.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    FreeBear said:
    Everest88 said:

Tell them to Beat It.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If they seriously intend pursuing the debt, then they will indeed need to send something in writing to your home address. Allowing for that signature, letting it get to court could prove a lot more expensive for them than it would for you, but probably best not to let it get that far. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 February at 11:09AM
    Everest88 said:

The 'final bill' which shows my payment of £884.63 (paid on 29/10/2020) states "Your last bill ended on 29 Oct 2020. This bill is up to and including 29 Nov 2020" . The subsequent amount showing as owed is £137 (am guessing the £287 they originally stated includes their fee?) but, again, how do I tell if the statement is genuine - the 'final bill' was sent after I told them I had paid the £884 on 29 October 2020?

If this is normal, and I do owe, happy to pay (dates seem to tie in with subsequent suppliers dates) but, if it is legitimate a) why was this is the first I have heard of it and b) why would they have not used (or offer to use) the subsequent £150 goodwill payment (following complaint via ombudsman) from March 2021 to settle?

Or am i just being too sceptical?!

Thanks in advance.

You really need to look over the Final Bill they have given you, and compare it with the first bill from your new provider.

1) What date did your energy switch away from Together Energy take place?

TE should bill for energy and standing charges upto that date, with your new supplier billing afterwards. Dates should be shown on both bills. 

2) Do the meter readings match? Final Readings on TE bill should be the same a opening readings on your new supplier bill.

Only after checking this will you know for sure if there is a valid debt or not. You can then decide your next steps, like offering to settle for the energy only but not fees because it's the first you've heard of it etc.. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback