EDF Energy Bill Issue

sedds
sedds Posts: 9
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Forumite

Hi there,

I have an issue with my final EDF bill. I have been paying monthly, but have received a bill for July 22nd to 1st October. The bill says 344KW was used in the daytime for that period, but 9833KW in that night time.

This is going off July 22nd Reading of 72377kw to the 1st of October of 82210kw

Now my bills follow a fairly similar pattern, both before this bill and after (October 1st to my final bill on October 18th). A lot of my bills are estimates, but the periodic readings follow the same steady pattern. (over a few years)

A few things are odd about this bill. Firstly I never gave a reading on July 22nd (I live in apartments so I guess its possible they just accessed the building?). Secondly it overlaps other monthly bills for that period that I have payed for. Thirdly is that the starting figure of 72377KW for July is significantly lower than previous meter readings. 

For instance my meter reading from October 6th 2022 is 75884KW. 

After that it steadily climbs to around 81000KW by July 2023. As I said the bill I am being charged for is July 22nd 2023 - October 1st 2023. The starting figure is 72377KW and the end figure 82210KW. This doesn’t seem to make sense, or am I missing something?

Thanks - Rob

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,657
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Providing single total meter readings isn't especially helpful.
    If you have separate billing for day and night, you should have separate meter readings for the day and night registers. Can you check your bills and see if these are shown?
    Also, when was the last Actual reading on your bill, prior to you leaving EDF? Was the July 22nd reading Estimated?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • The best way to check if the bills are accurate are to compare them to your own meter readings - do you have any and can you share them with us (as above, you need to have both the day and night readings, not the 'total' reading)

It's not unusual for estimated readings to be replaced or recalculated when new bills are issued - especially if you have given an actual reading in the meantime or someone has been in to inspect the meter (there's been a few times that meter readers have 'checked' my meters over the years and noted the readings, with those numbers then appearing as 'estimated' readings on my next bill). 

Another thing to consider is that, if you haven't given any actual readings to EDF for the relevant period, they and your new supplier will have agreed a transfer reading between themselves - which could be higher or lower than the actual reading, but doesn't make a significant difference to you in the long run as you won't pay for the same energy twice. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,764
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sedds said:
    This doesn’t seem to make sense, or am I missing something?
    Yes, unfortunately you are.
    You're billed for your kWh usage (energy), not kW (power).

• Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 609
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does your account number start with 67 or A-? 

• sedds
    Forumite
    Mobtr said:
    Does your account number start with 67 or A-? 

It starts with A-
  • sedds
    Forumite
    The best way to check if the bills are accurate are to compare them to your own meter readings - do you have any and can you share them with us (as above, you need to have both the day and night readings, not the 'total' reading)

It's not unusual for estimated readings to be replaced or recalculated when new bills are issued - especially if you have given an actual reading in the meantime or someone has been in to inspect the meter (there's been a few times that meter readers have 'checked' my meters over the years and noted the readings, with those numbers then appearing as 'estimated' readings on my next bill). 

Another thing to consider is that, if you haven't given any actual readings to EDF for the relevant period, they and your new supplier will have agreed a transfer reading between themselves - which could be higher or lower than the actual reading, but doesn't make a significant difference to you in the long run as you won't pay for the same energy twice. 
    Thanks. My bills have been a mix of estimates and meter readings over the past few years. They are usually fairly inline with each other. The strange thing about this bill is that the starting figure for the period is much lower than any previous bills. Now I assume they use the end figure for a period minus the starting figure for a period to come up with the "electricity used" figure? I will post some examples from my bills anyway shortly.
  • sedds
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Providing single total meter readings isn't especially helpful.
    If you have separate billing for day and night, you should have separate meter readings for the day and night registers. Can you check your bills and see if these are shown?
    Also, when was the last Actual reading on your bill, prior to you leaving EDF? Was the July 22nd reading Estimated?
    I went back through my bills to find the ones with actual readings. 

Day:  Jan 22 - 31 March 32 2022 : 32355 - 32864 - 509 KWH
    Night:  Jan 22 - March 31 2022    : 70052 - 72259 -  2207 KWH

Day: Oct 06 22 - Nov 17 2022     : 33701 - 33784 - 83 KWH
    Night Oct 06 22 - Nov 17 2022    : 75884 - 76482 - 598 KWH

Day: July 22 2023 - Sept 30th  2023  : 34281.8 - 34626.0 KW - 344 KWH
    Night: July 22 2023 - Sept 30th 2023 : 72377 - 82210.6 KWH - 9833 KWH

Final readings on October 18th 2023 : 34426 and  Night : 82353

The estimates throughout the bills seem to be very much inline with the actual meter readings, give or take a small amount.

The anomaly seems to be the starting figure for the July bill. At 72377 it is significantly lower than even the reading done 10 months before in October 2022 (75884). 

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,657
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sedds said:
    The anomaly seems to be the starting figure for the July bill. At 72377 it is significantly lower than even the reading done 10 months before in October 2022 (75884).
    So, in summary:
    • Jan 2022: day 32355, night 70052
    • Mar 2022: day 32864, night 72259
    • Oct 2022: day 33701, night 75884
    • Nov 2022: day 33784, night 75482
    • Jul 2023: day 34281.8, night 72377
    • Sep 2023: day 34626.0, night 82210.6
    • Oct 2023: day 34426, night 82353
    Are all these readings shown on your bill as Actual, or are some of them Estimates?
    Do you have readings between Nov 22 and Jul 23? That seems to be where the problem has arisen with the night meter.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 261
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As important to you, has the billing reflected these meter readings.  Since readings of 6/10/22, day consumption is 725kWh and night is 6469kWh, which using a typical tariff would be a monthly cost of approx. £100. (£1240 per annum).   If you haven't overpaid, it may be more important to get to grips with your monthly readings and consumption going forward.
  • sedds
    Forumite
    PeterGr said:
    As important to you, has the billing reflected these meter readings.  Since readings of 6/10/22, day consumption is 725kWh and night is 6469kWh, which using a typical tariff would be a monthly cost of approx. £100. (£1240 per annum).   If you haven't overpaid, it may be more important to get to grips with your monthly readings and consumption going forward.
    Yeah most bills have typically been around £150 - £180. A little cheaper a year or so ago before the price rises. Just that July to September 2023 which is £1500. Although strangely I have paid monthly for that period also and was up to date till this extra one came through.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback