IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Highview Parking: claim going to court! Help!

Options
lewisham_phil
lewisham_phil Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 October 2023 at 9:26AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Yes I confess; I've just been binning anything related to this 'parking charge' over the last few years (the only other time this happened, it seemed to work; but no longer the case, it seems).
However, this last correspondence has me worried: I would appreciate any advice as to the best course of action. Thanks in advance..

(Removed by Forum Team)

Comments

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 October 2023 at 1:11AM
    Options
    There are people who will come along to advise in detail but first thing you absolutely must do is get rid of the personal details in the uploaded image. As I don't think you'll be able to do that yourself i've reported the post to see if any of the Mse staff will do that.

Secondly once that has been sorted regulars will talk you through your next steps. 

The good thing is that DCBL are gaining a bit of a reputation for dropping cases where the defendant (you) provides a robust defence and makes it clear you won't let them walk all over you. 

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 October 2023 at 1:20AM
    Options
    You have given the world enough information for anyone, simply anyone, to file a Defence on your behalf.

Did you not see this banner across the top of every screen on this board?...

You Claim Form clearly shows 
    1) your full name
    2) your full address
    3) your Claim Number
    4) your MCOL password
    5) your vehicle registration mark
    6) your PCN number.

I have reported your post to get that image removed as soon as possible.

With a Claim Issue Date of 23rd October, you have until Monday 13th November to file an Acknowledgment of Service but don't do that before 28th October. 
    To file an Acknowledgment of Service, follow the guidance in the Dropbox file linked from the second post in the NEWBIES thread.
    Having filed an Acknowledgment of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 27th November 2023 to file your Defence.
    That's over four weeks away. Plenty of time to produce a Defence, but please don't leave it to the last minute. 
    To create a Defence, and then file a Defence by email, look again at the second post on the NEWBIES thread - immediately following where you found the Acknowledgment of Service guidance.
    Don't miss the deadline for filing an Acknowledgment of Service, nor that for filing a Defence.

Do not try and file a Defence via the MoneyClaimOnline website. Once an Acknowledgment of Service has been filed, the MCOL website should be treated as 'read only'.
  • lewisham_phil
    Options
    Apologies for being an idiot; late night post-pub panic.. Thanks for the guidance Dil and Keith; I will now follow the links and advice avidly.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hopefully MCOL doesn't show a rogue defence done by a third party. Sadly, this industry is so rotten that it has been known on Facebook and here that 'someone' has put in a weak defence using a person's password.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • lewisham_phil
    Options
    OK, I have sent in the AoS; on to defence: 
    As far as I can remember, the first communication didn't arrive for months, certainly not within 14 days, so I promptly junked them as irrelevant and/or junk/trying it on. In fact the only letter I have apart from the claim form uploaded is from 5th June of this year (a 'letter of claim' from DCB legal) 
    I am attaching the (redacted!) copy of the recent claim form, incase it is useful: for instance to my mind it doesn't 'state the alleged breach' (overstaying the free two hour limit?)..so I'm assuming should add the extra paragraphs from @hharry to suit? 
    Thanks in advance for the help, all of you.

• Coupon-mad
    edited 30 October 2023 at 4:00PM
    Options
    Yes indeed. Easy innit?!

And Judges are becoming aware and are beginning to strike these claims out.  More Judges will follow suit later this year, I'm sure.

If not, then DCB Legal will discontinue anyway in 2024.
  • lewisham_phil
    Options

A couple of questions: Should I strike out anything in the standard template response relating to signage? I'm sure I would've been mindful of the 2 hour limit.. and does driving around the car park count to the 2 hours? I cannot recall the exact incident (it's been four years!) so I'm not sure whether any driving-around searching occurred during this visit. Can I find out what information Highview have as to exact timings?

I have added a shot from Google, conveniently dated June 2019, showing the signage at the time.

So this is my initial stab.. apologies for any newbie-mangled legalese nonsense.

3. The Defendant did park at the Catford Retail Leisure Park on the 15/12/2019, visiting Dreams Beds, and also Lidl as they do frequently, often driving around the car park for a considerable period before finding a space. The Defendant has no recollection of over-staying, or being close to any time penalties on this visit. The Defendant did not receive any letters regarding the claim within 14 days.

Any comments greatfully received..

• UncleThomasCobley
    Options
    Leave everything in the template defence, especially anything about signage. Make sure you put the CEL v Chan judgment as your paras #2 and #3 and then the rest of the defence, renumbering all subsequent paras.

You are answering the woefully inadequate PoC and do not need to enhance anything because they have not stated what the breach of their terms was. Just stating that you parked at the site as a customer of the retailers at the location.

If you follow the advice and just make sure the CEL v Chan judgment is at the forefront of your defence as a preliminary matter, this will be struck out at allocation stage. Even in the unlikely event it isn't, you can guarantee that the intellectually malnourished DCB Legal will discontinue before it ever gets to a hearing.
  • lewisham_phil
    Options
    Hopefully a final question before I send in my defence: When adding the CEL v Chan as a preliminary matter, do I also include the full 'transcript of proceedings' (if I can format it satisfactorily; it's a, escribers webp image) , or just paragraphs 2 and 3 following 'Preliminary Matter: The claim should be struck out'?
    Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    The whole transcript.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback