IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Challenge Default Judgement : Premier Park Drop Case. Counterclaim denied.

Options

Comments

• Johnersh
    Johnersh Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Isn't the point here that D was never parked on the relevant land so can't possibly have breached any parking term? The vehicle was never stationary on the relevant land.

If it were me, I'd bin the template which contains a lot of generic puff, because the clear factual position here (fairly unique) is otherwise lost. Who cares if you're outraged or that the particulars are rubbish. You've been in front of a judge, if they were that inadequate, he'd have already ordered a fresh set be prepared or struck the claim. IMHO here it's best to focus on the best argument, not obscure it with everything else.

The fact is that fully automated systems are flawed for a site like this - they only record entrance/exit.  The PPC may never considered the position of access to the adjacent site but ANPR isn't proof the o/p remained on site when there's a bl**dy great road that runs out the back of the carpark. Google satellite shows this well.

A witness statement exhibiting a job sheet and/or Google maps image of the site ought to provide sufficient evidence to bounce this. 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January at 12:34AM
    Options
    In your post Today at 3:48PM you quote the Particulars of Claim.

Do the PoC really state the vehicle's registration mark exactly as you have posted?
    Accuracy in these matters is important.
    If so, then there is no such vehicle. It follows from that, there is nothing for you to defend against.

Also, the Dropbox file linked from your post Today at 1:49PM has your full name and the Claim Number clearly visible. It also mentions a different VRM.
    This information is repeated in the Dropbox file linked from your post Today at 5:07PM.
  • stuart_c2023
    stuart_c2023 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @KeithP. The VRM is correct on the PoC. It's been corrupted in C&P onto the forum.

@Johnersh The judge at set aside pretty much said his decision was based on the evidence of the day in Para 3 and he had not taken time to evaluate the "generic legal arguments likely taken from the internet" (his words). It's why I've put the transcript of CEL v CHAN as appendix rather than in the body of the document so that judge will get to crux of the argument earlier.
  • Johnersh
    Johnersh Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I’d still prune it significantly, but it’s your call.

You don’t really need to address parliament or even fairness of penalty clauses if the o/p never remained on site to be a party to the contract. All you need do is show it to be a separate site and clearly not the car park C was contracted to manage.
  • stuart_c2023
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pruned about 10 paragraphs and rearranged to make my unique argument front and centre, but unsure should remove all latest guidance.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vmuahg3drsaenv4ez027u/K8GF1J0W-defence-240129.docx?rlkey=9m0olw4v59kle2h72dhq7e9z0&dl=0

• stuart_c2023
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Coupon-mad , Thank you very much for taking time to collate this ans sorry to sound naive on this but.

Have to admit if I could recover the £275 set aside fee and costs for attendance of court under CPR27.14 I would rather avoid the counterclaim route but as haven't seen any written judgement from my set aside awarding costs yet are Premier/Gladstones likely to try and ignore that leaving me chasing?

Will the court read my witness defence and judge on my claim for costs within if Claimant doesn't proceed?

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 February at 12:58PM
    Options
    This is why I went into so much immediate detail and said a Counterclaim is the only way to take back control and get your £275 back plus hopefully £300 (and other court fees).

We regulars see this all the time and we know EXACTLY what will happen to you otherwise: 

are Premier/Gladstones likely to try and ignore that leaving me chasing?

Yes. Leaving you up the creek without a paddle.

Will the court read my witness defence and judge on my claim for costs within if Claimant doesn't proceed?

No.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • stuart_c2023
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Managed to pull together the updated Defence document and counterclaim including schedule of costs, using the exemplary work of @berseker and @ellaro9 tagged below

County Court Claim-QDR solicitors/Met Parking - Page 11 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

90 seconds part two - Page 24 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Latest version on dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qnx6juv50k1v9yjb71mni/Defence-and-counterclaim-240205-REDACTED.pdf?rlkey=3j7jzizro5xg18j8tc0c1p2ez&dl=0

Questions which would be very grateful if anybody has opinion
    a) I haven't listed or appended the letters from Debt Recovery Plus. Is it worth it as feel the fact they have pursued me through to County Court sufficient grounds for harassment?
    b) Are the costs reasonable ? Probably spent at least 20 hours researching and compiling documents but left it at 10 as don't want to give Judge reason to question or ask for proof

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Only looked at the start, so far.

The heading should be:

DEFENCE AND PART 20 COUNTERCLAIM

The first paragraph needs a number but I'd split it into para 1 & 2 (see below) and everything needs adapting to suit your unique case. Some if the template defence won't be needed.

I'll look again later on tonight.

Initially, assuming you are admitting to driving (I would) this is how I'd start it, and I'd go through your whole defence, Counterclaim and your WS, and call the area where you parked: 
    'the enclosed site' throughout to it's easy to follow:

1.  The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.  It is denied that any conduct by the Defendant was in breach of any term in the place (hereafter referred to as 'the enclosed site') where he parked.

2.  Further, it is denied that this Claimant has standing to sue or form contracts in their own name at the enclosed site. Liability is denied - the Claim had no prospects of success under the circumstances - and the Defence is followed by a Part 20 Counterclaim, below. 
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure