🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Driving without mot or faulty hire car

Options
Raj899
Raj899 Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 October 2023 at 12:21PM in Motoring
Hi everyone I had a car accident 4 weeks ago and aviva stated in my policy that if my car is immobilised they would provide me with a basic automatic car as a courtesy within 24 hours. This took them 2 weeks to provide but they only provided a manual. 13 days later enterprise the hire company called me and said that the cars mot is due shortly so can you drop the car to us, for a replacement I said ok. After discovering the car had no mot they still advised me to drive the car. To my horror I had been driving for 13 days without mot and technically no insurance.
now they have exchanged the car and provided one with service lights flashing and the car is vibrating in second gear.

I am in limbo can anyone suggest what I done next or point me in the right direction as I feel enterprise are a danger to the public.

many thanks

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,566 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When similar has happened to me in the past I've been on to the insurance company daily to complain and then to get updates on my complaint.  Your contract is with your insurance company not the car hire company so that's who should be sorting things out for you.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Raj899
    Options
    Raj899 said:
    Hi everyone I had a car accident 4 weeks ago and aviva stated in my policy that if my car is immobilised they would provide me with a basic automatic car as a courtesy within 24 hours. This took them 2 weeks to provide but they only provided a manual. 13 days later enterprise the hire company called me and said that the cars mot is due shortly so can you drop the car to us, for a replacement I said ok. After discovering the car had no mot they still advised me to drive the car. To my horror I had been driving for 13 days without mot and technically no insurance.
    now they have exchanged the car and provided one with service lights flashing and the car is vibrating in second gear.

I am in limbo can anyone suggest what I done next or point me in the right direction as I feel enterprise are a danger to the public.

many thanks
    Oh one more thing in the uk it is illegal to drive without no  no grace period except when you are driving to a garage with a pre booked appointment. God for bid I had an accident driving without mot and someone was injured or fatally injured who would be liable? Would it be me the driver, aviva the insurance company or enterprise the car hire company?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What makes you think it wasn't insured ?
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Agree with above ^^^ but remember that as the driver it is your personal responsibility to ensure the vehicle has a valid MOT just as you must check for bald tyres, working lights, etc.

If you had been stopped by police it is you who would have got points and fine for no MOT.

Quick and easy to check online, just tap in the reg. number https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    Options
    What have aviva said when you told them all this?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,566 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Raj899 said:
    Oh one more thing in the uk it is illegal to drive without no  no grace period except when you are driving to a garage with a pre booked appointment. God for bid I had an accident driving without mot and someone was injured or fatally injured who would be liable? Would it be me the driver, aviva the insurance company or enterprise the car hire company?
    I would say that initially it would have been the car hire company being responsible in the case of an accident - presuming there was no way for you to know the MOT was due.  A copy of the (nearly expired) MOT certificate tucked away in the manual in the glove compartment wouldn't be sufficient IMHO for anyone to think you would be aware of this and the hire company should be well aware of what cars need MOTs, need to be serviced, etc.  

Once they inform you that there's an issue I'd be driving the car directly to their premises and ask for my suitable automatic replacement.  An alternative being to leave it somewhere for them to collect but you not use it.  To not surrender the car or otherwise not use it would mean you are complicit in their failings.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No MOT does not void Insurance. Given it is a hire car, it is their issue.

Also not a consumer rights issue. Raise a complaint with Ins co
    Life in the slow lane
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2023 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Raj899 said:
    13 days later enterprise the hire company called me and said that the cars mot is due shortly so can you drop the car to us, for a replacement I said ok.

I can't follow in your account how the situation went from this above, where you were asked to return the car because the MOT was due to this below, where you say that the car did not in fact already have an MOT ?  What made you believe that there was not a current MOT in place, rather than it simply approaching the time where it needed to be reniewed ?  

Raj899 said:
     After discovering the car had no mot they still advised me to drive the car. To my horror I had been driving for 13 days without mot and technically no insurance.

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2023 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Raj899 said:
    13 days later enterprise the hire company called me and said that the cars mot is due shortly so can you drop the car to us, for a replacement I said ok.

I can't follow in your account how the situation went from this above, where you were asked to return the car because the MOT was due to this below, where you say that the car did not in fact already have an MOT ?  What made you believe that there was not a current MOT in place, rather than it simply approaching the time where it needed to be reniewed ?  

Raj899 said:
     After discovering the car had no mot they still advised me to drive the car. To my horror I had been driving for 13 days without mot and technically no insurance.

Perhaps it was < 3 years old so didn't have one because it didn't need one?
  • Raj899
    Options
    The car did not have insurance when they handed it over to me and I only discovered this when I did a check online.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure