Booking.com failed to notify about cancellation less than 24 hours notice

Hi,

Newby here asking for some advice.

My partner and I booked a private studio through booking.com in around February 2023 to stay in Greece for 17 nights at the end of September. The day before departure we received the automated message about it almost being time to go and to contact the owner. The owner advised us that they had canceled the booking a while back due to damage to the property.

With less than 24 hours to go until our flight, we contacted booking.com in a bit of a panic who assured us they would fix the situation. After confirming with the owner that the property had indeed been canceled, we were advised that we could book a different accommodation and that they never downgrade from the original booking.

With only two places left to choose from, we checked the more expensive one with the agent on the phone (the other was a downgrade), who assured us this was OK. We had to pay upfront and claim the money back after.

This is where the problem started, they are now backtracking and refusing to refund the difference. Is there anything that we can do? We are out of pocket by a fair bit. I assume they record all calls? But it is proving very difficult to get our money back.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,521
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    They may record calls, it sometimes tells you when you first call if they do, but not all have the announcement first.

I would personally push for them to listen to the call recording. If that is what they told you to do, then they should stick by it and as it isn't written in an email or anything, then the recording is what I would push for if it was me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback