BoxT installed boiler. Cancellation rights. Help!

13»

Comments

• flo22
    flo22 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:
    flo22 said:
    If the gas to the hob is capped would it not end up cheaper to get a new induction hob installed than uncapping the gas to the hob?
    I htink it is the gas supply to the house that is capped. It needs to be uncapped to allow the gas boiler to work.
    If that is the case then the plumber would not have been able to commission the boiler he should have told the OP to contact their energy supplier and he should have contacted the gas network to reconnect
    30+ years working in banking
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    flo22 said:
    sheramber said:
    flo22 said:
    If the gas to the hob is capped would it not end up cheaper to get a new induction hob installed than uncapping the gas to the hob?
    I htink it is the gas supply to the house that is capped. It needs to be uncapped to allow the gas boiler to work.
    If that is the case then the plumber would not have been able to commission the boiler he should have told the OP to contact their energy supplier and he should have contacted the gas network to reconnect
    Maybe he did and maybe he didn't.  

He did say he would come back when the gas supply was connected.

The OP would save  themselves if they just contacted the gas supplier and asked for it to be uncapped.
  • Molaram
    Molaram Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Update. I have not contacted BoxT yet, but I had some genuinely helpful gas engineers advise me today. Ones who knew their stuff (British Gas were not helpful). They uncapped the meter and ran tests. Followed the pipes (as many of you have said). Looked for valves. Checked the cooker. 

Things they discovered. 

1. The BoxT guy (not one of their engineers I as the van was unbranded so I think they farmed the job out) took an important part of the boiler with him, so nobody else would be able to complete the job. I am waiting for the gas mans report so I can word this more accurately for them. I was advised that this is bad practice, and engineers can lose their licence.

2. As for the cooker? It turns out the cooker was not connected to gas pipes! This flat I bought just has more and more dark secrets. The very knowledgeable engineers looked pretty shocked and took plenty of photos to help me try to build a case against the guy who sold me the flat (I doubt it will help because buyer beware). 

Am going to complain to BoxT today, because I was also told the installer should have tested the gas supply before installing, and tested the pipes. As far as I know he did neither, if he had he probably would have refused to install in the first place. 
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 October 2023 at 6:32PM
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    At the end of the installation, the engineer tried the gas hob, and told me "no gas". 
    [...]

Anyway, he had to leave me with the boiler and said he will make it live if/when the gas supply is fixed. He did look for "a valve to turn the gas on" before he left.
    Was the gas hob working before the engineer visit, i.e. is there a gas supply issue or not?
    There is a gas supply issue. I didn't know because the gas supply had been capped, the engineer removed the cap. 
    You'll probably find within the terms of the boiler order that it'll be your responsibility to ensure that there's a working gas supply prior to installation, so worth checking that aspect prior to any further dealings with the supplier.
    How is an ordinary person who engages a company to replace a boiler supposed to ensure the gas supply is correct  ( ie enough pressure etc ) or that there are no leaks on the existing supply ?
    I am not a gas engineer but do think that only an imbecele would simply assume that there is correct gas pressure to supply the boiler before starting installation.
     I wonder what Gas Safe would think about this

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    At the end of the installation, the engineer tried the gas hob, and told me "no gas". 
    [...]

Anyway, he had to leave me with the boiler and said he will make it live if/when the gas supply is fixed. He did look for "a valve to turn the gas on" before he left.
    Was the gas hob working before the engineer visit, i.e. is there a gas supply issue or not?
    There is a gas supply issue. I didn't know because the gas supply had been capped, the engineer removed the cap. 
    You'll probably find within the terms of the boiler order that it'll be your responsibility to ensure that there's a working gas supply prior to installation, so worth checking that aspect prior to any further dealings with the supplier.
    How is an ordinary person who engages a company to replace a boiler supposed to ensure the gas supply is correct  ( ie enough pressure etc ) or that there are no leaks on the existing supply ?
    I am not a gas engineer but do think that only an imbecele would simply assume that there is correct gas pressure to supply the boiler before starting installation.
    I wasn't suggesting that customers should be expected to be experts (although if the only gas appliance present wasn't operational then that should have been a clue) but simply that a supplier in this sort of situation would probably be pricing the job on the assumption that a working supply was available, i.e. that if additional work was needed then it would be out of scope and chargeable.  I'd agree that the installer should check this at the start of the job though....
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    [...]

I thought if a gas supply was capped a warning notice was put on the isolation valve next to the meter.... You did take your first day meter readings didn't you??? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    [...]

Given OP said
    I hired an engineer, who told me the original boiler did not work and would be cheaper to replace. 
    So that person has not done basic checks. 
    Also as recently purchased. Part of the purchase is that gas installs have to be checked. So this would have shown up then as well, given capped gas. 
    OP also has not supplied a reading for the meter or contacted the gas supplier.
    Which begs the question, WHY? or did they know the gas was capped off? Or supplier has not contacted occupier of the flat to update details.
    So many red flags here.....

Life in the slow lane
  • Molaram
    Molaram Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    eskbanker said:
    Molaram said:
    [...]

Given OP said
    I hired an engineer, who told me the original boiler did not work and would be cheaper to replace. 
    So that person has not done basic checks. 
    Also as recently purchased. Part of the purchase is that gas installs have to be checked. So this would have shown up then as well, given capped gas. 
    OP also has not supplied a reading for the meter or contacted the gas supplier.
    Which begs the question, WHY? or did they know the gas was capped off? Or supplier has not contacted occupier of the flat to update details.
    So many red flags here.....

Yes in hindsight there were red flags. I have been too busy to look at the latest posts, which gives you some idea how bad things are. 

My latest update isn't even about the boiler. The (excellent) engineers I hired to find the missing gas valve, were working down on the ground floor (I'm in the top floor flat). One of them received an electric shock. So it looks like the whole building is in bad shape, not just my flat. Am going to talk to the free holder tomorrow, as well as the company who are paid to maintain the communal areas. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback