Money Moral Dilemma: I'm a rail worker – should I report my friend for dodging fares?

Options

Comments

• JayD
    JayD Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you should tell your friend that you are aware of what he is doing and advise him, very strongly to stop doing it. You should also explain that, in all consciousness, you not only can't condone his actions but that you feel, if it continues, that you would have to report him. You should also make him aware that it is not only legally and morally wrong but that it ultimately affects the rail company, the passengers and the tax payer.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exactly how would this work anyhow? Surely your friend has to actually be caught in the act? So do you intend emailing all the potential train companies he travels on with an attached pic of him saying this is Joe Bloggs and he dodges train fares, he travels to work from x to y at approx this time each day. I'm not saying it's not possible cos I don't know but I'm curious as to in what way and to who you are reporting this to.

Personally I'd just warn your friend of the consequences if they were caught. 
  • tastyfish
    Options
    All these posters saying you should grass him up - would they grass up a tradesperson if they paid them regularly in cash knowing that not all of it was declared? Eg, the window-cleaner?

If he's your mate, I would do as others have suggested, speak to him about it. Ultimately, he could indirectly be affecting your livelihood. If he refuses then I'd suggest that you tell him you are obliged to report it.
  • Jason9091
    Options
    What proof do you have? Reporting someone without any prrof would be pointless.
  • Jason9091
    Options
    badmemory said:
    Just wondering what will happen when this person is finally caught, are you 100% sure he won't mention your name?  If he does will you keep your job?  Remember there is no honour among thieves.

Why would you think the person would lose their job?
  • Jason9091
    Options
    Anyone here who thinks this is a big issue and has got all outraged about it clearly needs to get out more!

Penalty Fares are a civil sanction. I believe the maximum fine recently increased from £20 to £100. It is not a criminal offense or a matter for the courts, unless a private prosecution is sought by the train company.
  • Littledaler
    Options
    To 2702 - are you commenting on proton5?  If so, read it again, he's saying exactly the opposite of how you {mis}understood it.  To mark_cycling00 - love your comments!  Back to the issue, there may be justification in his behaviour e.g. if he has no money and needs to visit his dying parent but on a regular basis, definitely not.  Rail ticket prices are already horrendous so why should everyone else fund his commute?  If he's a friend he'll realise he's behaving badly.
  • CGeazy
    Options
    I think you need to weigh up who is the worser human being. Your friend for cutting a few corners and saving a bit of money from a multi billion pound company or you for thinking about grassing on your friend, for that

People like you (jobsworth/ grasses) are the lowest form of human life
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I cant lie if it were my friend I would probably turn a blind eye to it. Would probably advise him not to do it and inform him of the consequences if he got caught - but I wouldn't risk a friendship over it.
  • rollingmoon
    Options
    proton5 said:
    Bottom line we pay for it

Not unless you're a shareholder you don't, surely? And shareholders are the few people who seem to do OK out of the appalling mess that is the UK's railways, so I personally won't be losing sleep over anything that costs them a few quid.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback