Money Moral Dilemma: I'm a rail worker – should I report my friend for dodging fares?

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Frankly he is telling you so that you are complicit.
  • Miser1964
    Miser1964 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 October 2023 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Bad karma always comes to snitches
  • tunde10
    tunde10 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Miser1964 said:
    Bad karma always comes to snitches
    And snitches get stiches haha...
  • primrose_penguin
    Options
    I understand your concern and morals, which unfortunately your friend does not share, however I think if you report him he will probably get the sack etc. and your life will not be very pleasant when those you work with find out. Instead I would definitely have a word with him and point out that if he continues he is likely to get caught and he will have to face the serious consequences. If he doesn't listen then you have done what you can as a friend and the responsibility is on his shoulders.
  • matrix11001
    Options
    proton5 said:
    Ultimately this is fraud.  You aren’t defrauding the Rail Company or the Government. You are defrauding the tax payer you claim to care about. Bottom line we pay for it
    The train companies are privately owned - we may fund part of them as part of Tory backroom deals but it is ultimately privately owned with mass excessive profits at the cost of tax payers who pay far more than Train travel is worth to fund sharfeholder profits that ultimately don't stay in this country!
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Only you know your mate. Was he saying it to bring you down a peg or looking for confirmation you're 'still one of us' because he's insecure about you doing alright for yourself? Morals aside, it seems an odd thing to do, to admit to/brag about being dishonest regarding an industry to a friend who literally makes their living from that industry. Reading between the lines maybe it would be better for both of your mental health to gently put distance between each other at this stage in your lives
  • Well he is stealing your job from you. Strange choice of friend! Not reporting him makes you guilty by association. Why not pay his fare for him ? Rail staff used to be allowed free transport for partners why not nominate him?
  • mermaidnwuk
    Options
    I know this is a MoneySavingExpert Forum but, for the life of me, I cannot imagine ML would agree with all those who condone the actions of fraud and theft from the taxpayers which the fare-swindling suggests.  We all pay for these actions.
  • Skint92
    Options
    Maybe have a word with your friend as to why he is doing it? A lot of people can’t afford to eat and a fine on top money struggles won’t help at all. The rail company won’t give you any thanks for dobbing your friend in it, you’re just a number to them but you could loose a friend.
  • bill5ja
    Options
    Nothing to do with you. you know nothing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback