Gift the money or pay for what they need

Options
Hello, I am wanting to help my child with her home renovation financially. Am I better to gift her a few thousand pounds directly, or would it be better for me to “buy” something - I.e pay for her new windows directly to the glazing to company, or pay for her re-wire? So it doesn’t go through her first? 

It would only go to her briefly and then straight out to the glazing company / electrician - but I’m concerned that it may be subject to the £3000 limit rule? 

What’s my best course of action with this? 

Thank for any advice. 

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Which rule is it that you're concerned about?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There's rules about what might be disregarded for inheritance tax should you die relatively soon after having made a gift.  But that's only a concern if you have a lot of assets.  Think the basic limit is something like £350k which may include the value of your house.  

Another thing to take into account is your age and health and whether you may need care in the next decade or so.  If that's possible and your have few assets relatively your local council might wonder about deprivation of assets if they end up footing the care bill.  

And what's your daughter's circumstances?  If you give her money will that effect benefits she receives?  And what does she want?  You might think windows are the best thing to get but she might think a new boiler.  If you want to help don't forget that if she's bought a home she's an adult and is entitled to her opinions and to run her own life.  (my mom decided to buy me a car once and picked one out that was nothing like what I wanted or needed but it was that or nothing.)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There is no £3000 limit to making gifts, that amount is simply an IHT exemption, and that exemption is doubled if you did not make a gift in the previous financial year.

Just gift her the cash, and if the gift is over £3k then keep a record of it where your executors can easily find it if you meet an untimely end.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback